No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Selkirk glass vase  (Read 3985 times)

Offline Gavin

• Members
Selkirk glass vase
« on: April 14, 2012, 07:47:49 PM »
Hi all, been car booting again and found, along with a few other bits, a nice vase but cant find out much about the company. Would i be right in assuming they are no longer trading??

Thanks   Gavin

Offline Gavin

• Members
Re: Selkirk glass vase
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 09:24:54 AM »
Looked a bit harder and found that they went out of business in 2006. Should have given it more effort before posting, sorry guys :-\

Gavin

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 11:37:26 AM »
Hi and welcome - we'd really appreciate some pictures if you would be so kind?

Folk here are trying to get together a huge resource of images of Scotland's Glass - and images of Selkirk are very much needed.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 11:56:37 AM »
Does that include paperweights  as I have one downstairs that I can photograph if it is helpful?
“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 12:25:28 PM »
Wuff is the gentleman who is on top of what is needed - but I'm sure if the image isn't already there, it would be very much appreciated!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Gavin

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 04:42:14 PM »
I will try and get some pics up Sue, i had to ask you to put pics up for me before! (IOW bottle vases)
Buying those has changed my collecting massively, what was almost exclusively Japanese and Chinese items is fast being replaced by glass vases and the like! Have a few unidentified bits but will post about those another time.

Thanks   Gavin

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 11:14:07 PM »
Does that include paperweights  as I have one downstairs that I can photograph if it is helpful?
Yes, but please post it in the Paperweights forum - and add something like: "For Info ..." to the title of the thread.
KevinH

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 10:34:36 AM »
You can send me the images again if you like  :)
- but if you're starting to get the glass bug as you seem to be, perhaps you should persevere with getting images to the board directly - it is very easy. 8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 06:13:16 PM »
Wuff is the gentleman who is on top of what is needed - but I'm sure if the image isn't already there, it would be very much appreciated!
Yes, but please post it in the Paperweights forum - and add something like: "For Info ..." to the title of the thread.

KevinH is right (he better be ;)) that images on this forum are welcome - the advantage being that they will be available to readers immediately.

chopin-liszt refers to something different - the online catalogue on Scotland's Glass (see my signature): here we have a structured catalogue, where you can get an illustrated index (for a certain manufacturer sorted by year of issue, or type of design, ...) - much easier to find a certain weight - but much more work to get this online - and to date far from complete. All sorts of technical problems (most related to capacity problems with our previous host) have lead to delay and a long queue of images, waiting to be uploaded.

I am looking after paperweights only (but Scotlandsglass is much more!).  My first priority was Caithness: many images are online - but even Caithness is not yet complete - see here for the status.

Selkirk is my second project: to date all annual brochures have been scanned, and images of single weights have been extracted. Like with other studios - not all paperweights made by Selkirk show up in their brochures .... but even if your weight is depicted: additional views are always welcome! I just cannot give you a date when your images might be published.

So ... what should you do? I recommend you
1. post them right now to the forum here,
2. indicate your permission to use your images on Scotlandsglass,
3. for this, images should be minimum about 700 x 700 pixels - or you are welcome to mail me your higher resolution original images directly.
All your images will go to the queue (saved on a Raid1 system).
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 06:37:11 PM »
Thanks, Wolf - it's very useful to have this outline of what it is you need.
I shall try only to point the correct things to you in future - paperweights only.  :-[
I take it it's Frank for vases etc.? ( And can Frank cope with stuff just now?)
I do have a Selkirk bucket vase!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand