No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: stopper for a snifter  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
stopper for a snifter
« on: September 13, 2012, 07:26:43 PM »
which is what I assume it is, but could well be wrong.     Quite nice cutting with slices and rings etc. and about 5.5" - 145mm long in total.        I've looked through 'The Decanter' book, although seems there is almost nothing on things like this - except a single reference to something called a 'hollow pegged taster stopper', which apparently serves as a miniature tumbler  -  the decanter in question was a Prussian from about 1785.        However, on the book example it's the stopper end that is hollowed out for the booze, not the top end as on this one.          It's true that the open end is beveled on mine, and the cut surface is ground and polished, but it looks a bit too small to get the liquid into in the first place - barely half an inch of opening.           The stopper is ground, so I'm assuming it wasn't a stand alone piece and was intended to accompany a decanter of some description  -  although there isn't any sign of a matching number that I can see.            The final inch or so of the cavity is very difficult, if not impossible, to reach in order to clean the inside, so not perhaps the most hygienic of inventions.
I've seen hundreds of stoppers, but never one like this  -  are they very rare, or have I just been missing them?     What sort of date might people put on this particular example?               thanks for looking. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: stopper for a snifter
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 09:07:45 PM »
did occur to me to wonder if this had been from someone's favourite decanter  -  and maybe the stopper has had the top shortened to remove damage of some kind - thus exposing the hollow :-\

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 04:05:46 PM »
I have two decanters with snifter stoppers so that one can have a quick drink without the lady of the house hearing the clink of glass there is also one on ebay right now . ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 06:07:26 PM »
thanks  -  and there goes another idea of me having a rarity. :'(      Looking at the shape I'd venture to say that this was from a sherry or port decanter rather than Scotch or Gin.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand