No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is This Chinese?  (Read 1887 times)

Offline Hourglass

• Members
Is This Chinese?
« on: April 17, 2012, 06:01:41 PM »
This weight, although very pleasing, looks by the 1"3/4 diameter flat ground base, to be one of these Chinese ones but by the pattern looks like it could be a little further West. Measuring a heavy 3"1/2 x3"1/2 it only cost me £2 so thought that it was worth a punt.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Is This Chinese?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 06:38:18 AM »
Can we see the base please

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Hourglass

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 10:04:48 AM »
I don't think that I can take a good picture of the base, tried yesterday but it would not show well enough, I'll attemp to take one if I can get the angle and light right.

Here is the base, you may have to look at your screen at slightly different angles to see it more clearly but as I said, it's ground flat and un-polished.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 11:30:06 AM »
That's better. You just said it was flat ground. I would say Chinese from the colours and the base

Offline Hourglass

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 02:16:15 PM »
Guessed that it may be. A bit better than the majority of ones you come across and a little above the average, some are much better quality than others and collectors/enthusiasts mark down Chinese weights, I think it's because 'made in China' has a certain stigma to it but there are still some very nice weights coming out of that Country and worth consideration and where appropriate, praise and respect for those that produce them.

Offline stew2u2

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 06:35:34 PM »
i think because loads were made and churned out with no regards to the finishing of the end product they have a bad name. but like you said some have a bit of quality to them.
there is always someone worse off .

Offline Hourglass

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 07:21:55 PM »
i think because loads were made and churned out with no regards to the finishing of the end product they have a bad name. but like you said some have a bit of quality to them.

Yes, I agree, some of them are very poor, uneven, some look cloudy which makes the interior look blurrey and the bases have not been ground and finished very well, these to me would suggest the mass produced ones where quality seems to the producers unimportant and the interiors are rather messy. There are some very nice Chinese weights, even the modern ones but like I said, with a label 'made in China' has always carried a certain stigma with it for decades, cheap mass produced products assembled by cheap labour with seemingly little quality control, especially the plastic and tinplate toys from the 1950's and 60's. Mud tends to stick.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand