No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: help with identification overshot? crackle? deco/nouveau  (Read 4927 times)

Offline azelismia

• Members
    • The Gilded Curio; a personal collection
help with identification overshot? crackle? deco/nouveau
« on: March 21, 2006, 11:01:21 PM »
I have this v. heavy vase. It's rough like it's been rolled in glass then heated.
 it isn't crackled on the inside although you can't tell in these pics.  There is  an art nouveau or deco pattern on the piece.

I got this in fairbanks 14 years ago and Just got it's pink sister off of ebay. it's the first one like it i've seen since I bought the first one years ago.
I've never been able to find out who made it or it's value.

then I saw this forum and thought maybe someone here might know ;)
It doesn't really look like any of the overshot i've seen in pics because the glass is much heavier and bigger shards than the frosted look that most overshot seems to have but it fits the description as to how overshot is supposed to have been made.  because it isn't crackled on the inside and it's  rough to the touch it doesn't really look like crackle either ( although it does). The iridescence is mild. barely noticable in some lights and really noticable in others.
 It has a certain depth that photos don't seem to relay. This has been one of my favorite pieces that i've owned in the last 15 years but if favorite pieces were based on pictures only it would not be one of my favorites.  So can anyone help me with this one?

my personal theory has always been that it's a mold blown glass which was then rolled in shards and then baked or something like that. otherwise that pattern would be impossible I'd think. it repeats on all four sides.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/62327234/1139741604044059021cljZll

http://community.webshots.com/photo/62327234/1062327313044059021ZyZlmx

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?album=10&pos=20

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?album=10&pos=21
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?album=10&pos=22

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?album=10&pos=23

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?album=10&pos=24

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 01:00:21 AM »
I think by appearances and your description your vase and the Ebay one are 'crackle glass' - "The parison is rolled in moist sand to condition the surface, then plunged in water to make the surface crack. A new layer of glass is added and the cracks fused" (from Miller's Glass fact File) which also warns not to mistake crackle glass for 'overshot' glass.

All iridescence is an applied technique obtained by spraying different metal oxides onto the glass - that would go for 'Tiffany' through to ‘Ditchfield’

link

I think your item, better seen in the eBay picture is a lovely piece of crackle from the 1920s – 30s. The motif is very deco with as you say a hint of nouveau.

It is very architectural to me and I sense a Czech/Austrian influence – the motif itself is very secessionist.

I can’t give you a company name right now, but I am sure dedicated collectors on this board will be able to help.
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline azelismia

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 01:01:58 AM »
well the reason I hesistate to call it crackle is because the inside isn't crackled. it's solid glass on the inner part. the crackle is only on the outside. would that still be crackle glass?

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 01:03:49 AM »
yes is fuses so it is smooth outside an in - on the pieces I have that is the case.

I see you have posted much better pictures now, very good 'lights' on the vase - you say your base colour is marigold, the eBay one looked peach - I have only seen marigold?
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline azelismia

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 01:06:41 AM »
What I mean is that you can see no crackle effect on the inside glass. it looks uncracked, not just smooth...the outside is v. rough to the touch the inside is perfectly whole. no cracks and smooth.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 01:10:58 AM »
I still think it is very well fused - there could be have been an extra layer of glass / glazing added to inside - I would still call it crackle unless we are talking about a surface finish here like 'martele'

Adam

Offline azelismia

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 01:12:18 AM »
actually, the ones from my webshots site are the only pics i've taken. I just copied the pics off of the ebay site and put them on the site here to post so people wouldn't have to plug a number into ebay to see it. I am confused if this vase that I will be getting will be peach or marigold. I haven't rcvd it yet. the vase I have at home is def. marigold. Some of their pics look peach and some of their pics look just like my marigold piece. Actually, i am kind of hoping it's marigold because they are a so stylistic they'll make an excellant set.

Offline azelismia

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 01:25:53 AM »
well, I'll have to look up martele, but I've always had the impression that it was just a surface thing. I could be wrong though. I've been wavering back and forth on various ways this could have been made since i bought it. it could also be as you said with an added layer of glass afterwards. the part that's always baffled me is the triangular design with the crackle and the inside perfection.

I took it to the american antiques roadshow in the mid 90's. they said they thought it was a reproduction. I said of what? They said we don't know. lol, what's the point of reproducing something if it isn't known? I was a dealer for a number of years and I have been a collector for more so i've been out there and I've never seen anything like it other than the one on ebay in 14 years. later that day I took it to a glass show and we showed it to a couple dealers there that dealt in glass ( I've always focused on art pottery although I am getting into glass now) and no one knew what it was but one offered me 600 cash for it. I totally am with you on the austrian/czech vibe. I've also been told it looks french which I can agree with.

Offline azelismia

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 01:33:41 AM »
nope not martele. this is rough, like you can see the glass shards they look like they've been polished down a bit but there are  fissures in the glass between shards. you can get your fingernail in there. it's like dried mudflats. most of the crackle glass i've seen looks much more finished than this. for all the world it looks like they took a perfectly normal piece of glass that had molded decoration on it rolled it in some large sized glass shards while it was hot and then baked it til it melted down a bit. it doesn't look like it was submerged in water at any time. I thought it might be pate de verra for awhile too because it looks like baked glass. after seeing many pics of that kind of glass I don't think it is now though.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 01:35:38 AM »
I just though there is a surface pattern called 'Tree of Life' or 'creased' which mimics crackle glass, I would say it falls into the category of Carnival Glass - that is what I think your vase is - the iridescence gives it away, not much crackle glass was iridized (that was the effect in itself).

Glen is a greet expert on Carnival and will help you no doubt if you watch this spot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand