No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: help with identification overshot? crackle? deco/nouveau  (Read 4928 times)

Offline azelismia

• Members
    • The Gilded Curio; a personal collection
help with identification overshot? crackle? deco/nouveau
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 03:13:30 AM »
no, it isn't tree of life. I was reading about that today. it has a def pattern which this doesn't have and the lines are more manufactured where as this is random. I got the new piece today. it is pink. it doesn't have the feel of my other one. it is more crackleglassy. the crackle part isn't terribly heavy and the glass itself isn't as heavy.  the crackle is not rough on this piece it's just normal crackle glass with a heavy iridescence. my marigold piece isn't half as iridescent as this is. it's really got a different look and feel to it than the one I've had for years. they are like night and day. this piece is also v. shiney whereas my other has more of a rough aged ancient look about it.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 07:37:25 AM »
I have two small pieces of 1930s crackle and the crackle is only on the outside, the inside is smooth. Yours sounds and looks like crackle to me. Sometimes crackle is blown slightly to expand the cracks, gives it a sort of crocdile skin effect. I think you have a lovely piece or two! of carnival crackle and now we need Glen to have a look.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 10:05:20 PM »
I've just seen this thread, and I find it fascinating. I wish I had all the answers, but I fear I don't have many at all.

I can say what the vase isn't. It isn't Carnival Glass, by strict definition. There are several "crackle" effect Carnival patterns (Soda Gold, Crackle, Tree of Life etc) but they are moulded patterns that give a crackle effect. They are not a treatment or part of the glass process.

The iridescence is applied, as all iridescence is. Usually it is applied when the glass is hot - very hot. But it can be applied to glass that has been made some time ago. The lustre is applied to the cold glass and then the item is fired in a kiln. It's a tricky process and needs very skilled hands (it also results in much breakage) but it can be  - and has been - done. Terry Crider and the Hansen brothers were experts in the field.

I don't know if yours was done in this way, I'm just pointing out that it's possible.

The rose pattern is fascinating. When I first glanced at it, I was struck by a resemblance to Brockwitz Rose Garden pattern.
http://www.geocities.com/carni_glass_uk_2000/RoseGarden1.jpg

Of course that could be because it is my favourite design! But it did remind me a little of it.

Anyhow, I haven't answered any of your questions really, all I can say is that it isn't true Carnival - but is is fascinating and lovely. I was wondering if a "local" expert in iridised studio glass may help you. Try contacting John Cook Studios in Oregon. They make some gorgeous (oh so gorgeous) iridised glass. Here's their website.
http://www.johncookstudios.com/index.html

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline azelismia

• Members
    • The Gilded Curio; a personal collection
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 12:03:44 AM »
Dang! you're right! it is a rose. I never noticed what it was I always thought it was just stylised squigglies in a triangle. that's a really good idea. I will email those people in oregon! I am planning a road trip to california in may maybe I can put them on my list of stops :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand