No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Frank Thrower Showstopper Vase or inspired by, rip-off, or test piece?  (Read 2968 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Frank Thrower Showstopper Vase or inspired by, rip-off, or test piece?
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 08:00:57 PM »
I think that if you tried to make these on the marver as you formed one side the others would distort. Those Mdina cubey things are really thick walled, Sue can you have a look at yours and see if any of them are nearly solid for me?

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Frank Thrower Showstopper Vase or inspired by, rip-off, or test piece?
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 10:54:19 AM »
I've just inspected 10 of them, all a good inch thick. They are all different sizes, several are quite squint, only 2 are uncut.
However, I've also inspected a load of square sectioned bottles - Mdina, MDG and Mtarfa.
There may well have been a square sectioned mould used at Mdina, the bottles all seem to be the same "circumference"....... but

I've got a thin-walled massive tortoiseshell square base sectioned bottle with tall neck - definitely marvered into shape, and I've also inspected an unusual cut-ice lollipop which has exactly the same sort of "cellulite-like" texture on the uncut side - and it's the only one I've ever seen which has this unusual tall slim shape - I very much doubt a mould!

Also I have a massive IoWSG Fish - with cellulite.

The square MDG bottles are different sizes of small and the surfaces are covered in tool marks as well as those from the marver....

and I've also just compared two Benny Motzfeldt Randsfjord Inkpots - completely different sizes - both in "circumference" and in height. Marvered into shape.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand