No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Indiana goblet - King's Crown - but why the Russian?? medallion?  (Read 3573 times)

Offline glassaddict

• Members
Hi all,
Picked this up out of curiosity yesterday and am pretty sure it is by Indiana glass - King's crown pattern (or thumbprint as it is sometimes called) Was wondering why the Russian badge?

Hil :)

Offline vintagerose

• Members
Re: Indiana goblet - King's Crown - but why the Russian?? medallion?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 04:29:05 AM »
Not sure about the medallion, but I thought this link might be a lead in the right direction

https://www.vintagefrompaul.com/Guide_to_Kings_Crown.html
When a dog runs at you, whistle for him"
Henry David Thoreau

Offline glassaddict

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 12:30:33 PM »
Thanks for the link - that confirms that it is Indiana Glass as I thought and not Tiffin. Also it appears that it is a cordial and not a wine goblet. Was hoping to find out more about the metal too. Is it a Russian coat of arms? and was it put on by the manufacturer? and who was it done for?

Thanks for looking

Offline vintagerose

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 09:20:04 PM »
Hi, I did some looking. It seems that it is a two headed eagle. The problem is finding one like yours. Also I think your glass is brown more than amber. Perhaps you have a rare Adams & Co. piece? I would guess your glass was made to order, not production. Good luck : )
When a dog runs at you, whistle for him"
Henry David Thoreau

Offline glassaddict

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 01:21:29 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to look :) I have looked at Adams and Co and note that they merged with the United States Glass Company in 1891 and consequently that company was  bought by Indiana Glass so the jury is still out on this one. Could be any of them I guess.

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 01:33:52 AM »
Hello

You can stroke Adams & Co. off the list of possible makers.  They were the originators of the pattern with production commencing in late 1890 but neither they nor US Glass (who purchased Adams & Co, in 1891) made it in amber during its initial 19th century production period.  The pattern made a reappearance around 1950 being made by both Tiffin (formerly US Glass) and Indiana in various colours and forms.  Your stem was made in the mid to late 20th century.

Sid

Offline glassaddict

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 10:03:43 AM »
Thanks Sid, Is there any way to distinguish between Indiana glass and Tiffin? The top is slightly flared, the thumbprints are oval and it was made in a 2 part mould.
Appreciate your time and help

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 04:27:55 PM »
Hil

I am sure that there is a way to distinguish but I don't have that knowledge.  My interests in glass are largely 19th century and not this mid to late 20th glass.  I would suggest that you join the Elegant and Everyday Glass Forum http://chataboutdg.com/forums/ and post this piece. 

Sid

Offline glassaddict

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 10:21:14 PM »
Many thanks Sid, have posted to the other board

Hil  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand