No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: now the auction is finished please help ID. ID = Chinese (majority view)  (Read 4528 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: now the auction is finished please help ID
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 08:00:22 AM »

Hi Allan.

I know we disagree on the source of these millefiori weightss, but I would not expect to find a China mark or label on most of my Chinese weights.  It was not a requirement in Europe - only in the US.  We have got over 100 Chinese weights, including our Chinese Whites, and not one is scratch signed. Two have paper labels - a small red lampwork flower design, and a Chinese White - and both of those were purchased in the US.  If you have unmarked ones, they could be pre-1929, of course.

Even if the weight are not Chinese, I just don't see these as 'Bohemian'.  All the Thuringian and Silesian weights that I have seen have flat bases, usually fine ground rather than polished (except for the high quality antique Boho weights from Josephinehutte etc).  The weights discussed in this thread have had there pontil mark smoothed by grinding on a wheel, leaving a concave depression, sometimes very irregular in shape, yet often quite shiny, just like Chinese Whites. 

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 01:49:12 PM »
The weights of this type in my collection all have ground bases and are unlike the 1930s Chinese bases.  So, we agree to disagree.

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline incazzatonero

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • Germany
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 05:45:55 PM »
OK
I have got the little paperweight
and it is pretty nice.
One of the most importend collectors and experts in Germany told me: