No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Not Gulvase.... but what?  (Read 6184 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Not Gulvase.... but what?
« on: May 29, 2007, 06:46:02 PM »
I've seen a couple of these pop up in the USA recently, advertised as Holmegaard Gulvase, and reach some absurd prices.

AUCTION

Any clue what they are? I'm not sure if they have some age, or if they're brand new. It looks to have a rough pontil, which discounts it as Holmegaard instantly. I only have one HG piece with an unfinished pontil, and that's a unique frigger.

They reference Pina's 'Fifties Glass' in the auction, but I'm assuming it's just an ordinary Gulvase illustrated (although I'm not sure why a Gulvase (1962) would be in a book on 1950s glass)? I don't own  a copy of it.

Edit: Just had a look at their other auctions, and they've another null-vase...

AUCTION 2
White cased in yellow cased in clear? I don't think so.

Their blue one, however, looks roughly about right - although the blue looks a little too thick at the base and it's either and inch too tall or two too short. Given the other two vases, I'd be highly susepect:

AUCTION 3

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Not Gulvase.... but what?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 11:58:10 PM »
Mystery solved - they're brand spanking new, and retailed solely by West Elm (US furniture store).

Poor buyers!

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 06:32:59 AM »
Well done Nic!  I did have a look through new stores, but it was hard to coming up with search words.  How did you find out?

I am not a man

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 07:41:34 AM »
Someone has a properly described one, with original label, on eBay right now: West Elm Vase

It's such a shame that these photographs aren't going to stick around longer than 90 days. I think I'll ask the seller of the vase above if I can pilfer their photographs for my Holmegaard site's soon-to-be "Commonly Mistaken For..." section.

I wish I had less scruples sometimes - I'd buy up the 5 vases in the auction and make an absolute killing on them (after removing the original labels first, of course).

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 07:57:37 AM »
Well done Nic - a great piece of sleuthing.  Do you think though that the seller knows this information and is pulling a fast one or is it a genuine mistake?  Might be worth keeping an eye on his auctions to see if he gets more 'gul vases' on a regular basis ....

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 08:20:28 AM »
The seller knows the information now - I just mailed them.

I'm not expecting a reply, to be honest. But then if you could get £100-£200 for a vase you already have on auction by ignoring the message, or £17 or less by paying attention and relisting, even if it were a genuine mistake, it would be a tough call for even a very honest seller.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 09:08:04 AM »

I'm not expecting a reply, to be honest. But then if you could get £100-£200 for a vase you already have on auction by ignoring the message, or £17 or less by paying attention and relisting, even if it were a genuine mistake, it would be a tough call for even a very honest seller.

What I meant was, I wonder if they've being bought new from West Elm with the intention of selling them on eBay as genuine.  If that's the case they'll have them for sale on a regular basis - just have to keep watching their auctions I suppose.  Hopefully it's just an honest and understandable mistake.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 09:20:50 AM »
I see what you mean. Sorry, I'm not awake properly just yet.  ;D

I can't see them on West Elm's website, so possibly they're maybe a year or two old.

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 10:15:36 AM »

It shouldn't be.  I've just pulled a ceramic figurine (with a bid on it) because I have doubts of its maker - I just sold a similar good one (damaged too) for £67, but the collector had a look at the 2nd one as he was collecting the first, and doesn't think it is quite right.  So I've pulled it.  No brainer. 
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand