No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Holmegaard Decanters  (Read 3785 times)

Offline B & M

• Members
Holmegaard Decanters
« on: March 22, 2006, 10:45:42 AM »
Hello,

Have just bought these two decanters and a carafe from a local charity shop:

http://i1.tinypic.com/s12t6o.jpg
http://i1.tinypic.com/s12rlw.jpg

I recognise the Carafe as a 70's Ole Winther Viking Carafe and I have seen the doughnut shaped decanter attributed to Holmegaard on this board previously. What I would like to know is if the taller decanter is also Holmegaard. It has an identical colour and feel to the rounded one and a similar polished pontil mark. It is a very nicely made piece with a delicate hollow stopper.

If anyone could help with a designer or age for these two decanters I would be very grateful. I recall seeing the doughnut shape pattern attributed to Per Lutken but cannot immediately find any reference to confirm this and Scandinavian glass from this era is not my area of expertise.

Thank you!

Steven  :)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Holmegaard Decanters
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 11:19:02 AM »
The doughnut decanter is Per Lutken, sometime before 1965. Not sure about the tall one, never seen one of them before - labelled or otherwise. Sorry. I would say that it is quite likely Holmegaard too, though I wouldn't normally associate hollow stoppers with them.

Wish my local charity shops had such excellent finds!  :D

Offline B & M

• Members
Holmegaard Decanters
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 08:26:37 PM »
Thanks Nic, its good to have confirmation on the doughnut decanter. I too am sure the tall one is Holmegaard, the pieces almost certainly all came from the same source, its just that I don't recall seeing this pattern before.

Wish my local charity shops had such excellent finds!

Yes, I think this was a very good find and all for a nice price too! There's no need to move down here just yet though, this is the only good lot I've found for a long time. Unfortunately glass seems to be a rare find at the moment here, and all I've seen has been common pieces at scarily high prices! No wonder I spend all of my time trawling through ebay......

Thanks  :)

Steven

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Holmegaard Decanters
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 12:04:09 AM »
Update:

Thanks to some materials forwarded to me by David E, I can say that the doughnut-shaped decanter is called 'Danica', by Lutken. The design is probably c.1953.

I've since spotted the other decanter in an antique centre, and I would speculate that it's probably Dartington, but definitely not Holmegaard.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 04:19:08 PM »
Hello Nic,

Thanks for the information about the Danica decanter.

Since posting, I have seen the other decanter identified on the Great Glass site as Orrefors pattern GS1102, designed by Simon Gate, see here: http://www.great-glass.co.uk/library/lib5a.htm

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 04:30:43 PM »
Ooh, well I may go back to that antique centre - although I think it was really badly stained, if memory serves. Doh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand