No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: SVdA perfume bottle with 'Goodfriend' (?) export label...  (Read 4958 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
SVdA perfume bottle with 'Goodfriend' (?) export label...
« on: April 26, 2012, 06:49:56 PM »
Bit of an oddity - I've a perfume bottle (awaiting new fittings) that I know for sure is SVdA, having seen several labelled examples in the exact same size, shape, finish and colour, but mine has a somewhat rubbed paper label that says:

Goodfriend (I think)
Italy
Hand Made

Have searched, but I can't find any company or trademark of that name that's related to Seguso specifically or glass importing generally.

Any clues?

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Re: SVdA perfume bottle with 'Goodfriend' (?) export label...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 09:37:00 AM »
Bit worried about the quality of the piece and the colour way on your piece pinkspoons. Not sure that is SVdA but a copy by another company. Do you have pics of the base, side view and rim shot?

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 12:28:28 AM »
Its SVdA-ness is beyond question - it's from D&A's old Seguso stock some while back, and they've since listed a handful of identical and very similar pieces with period Seguso labels.

I'll include some better images when I get chance - but the base is polished flat, the shape is quatrefoil lobed, and the rim is very coarsely ground to accomodate a metal fitting and give a key to the plaster holding it in place.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »
Hi pinkspoons, I have been through some pics I have and agree with SVdA attribution. Am wondering now about the age of the piece now due to the label as I have not seen it before. A very good find and a very very very very LOL interesting label. I am also wondering about the maker of it as well.

Just a thought, 40's and A.S made. Your opinions?

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 03:00:40 PM »
I did wonder about A. Seguso having a hand in it.

The other examples I've seen have had the white/red SVdA labels on them, so I presumed 1950s or thereabouts - but they could easily have been designed earlier.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 09:21:48 AM »
I think that the red/white SVdA label was also used pre 1950's. I have a few late 30's/early 40's SVdA pieces that have the white and black label but have also managed to buy a few of the same pieces with red/white label. So I assume these pieces were made during the transition of the labels.

If that doesn't make sense let me know. My brain is frazzled after a long day.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 12:57:35 PM »
Makes perfect sense.  :)

I've always just assumed that the red/white label was solely 1950s production based on the style of the items I've seen it on myself.

I've just had the atomiser fittings replaced, so I'll take some more photographs of it today or tomorrow to give a better idea of the shape, finish and decoration.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 10:14:03 AM »
Et voilą!

Also had another go at photographing the label, but it's still illegible in the place that counts (as is always the way).

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 10:24:21 AM »
Next to another SVdA scent bottle that I think might be earlier - it's certainly a lot more rugged around the edges, and the rim was created using the halfpost method in clear glass, as opposed to the moulding and grinding of the pink one.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 11:48:43 PM »
I love that deep plum coloured piece pinkspoons. Stunning! My opinion on that one is that it is a 40's piece as well.

It is amazing how many 50's, 60's etc pieces of these SVdA pieces we see and how rare the 30's and 40's pieces are. Although it seems that GMB is getting quite a few post on SVdA now compared to before as we learn more.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand