No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Two Mint Condition Murano Lamps - Any Info About These?  (Read 4388 times)

Offline Funky Nun

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
Two Mint Condition Murano Lamps - Any Info About These?
« on: April 27, 2012, 03:26:06 PM »
Hello,

I have 2 authentic identical Murano lamps - the bases are approximately 11 1/2 inches high, and the base at the very bottom is approximately 5 3/4 in diameter. They are in new, unused, excellent condition, and have been carefully packed and in storage for several years. They really are quite beautiful...

There's a small light inside the base - this can also be turned on so that the base alone is lit.

I'm enclosing photos of the lamps, as well as the sticker/label that appears on both lamps. I'd be more than happy to take any additional photos of them...

I'd be so grateful if someone could please tell me anything at all about these lamps, and what they are worth, as I'd like to sell them. Thanks so much!!!

Offline ardy

• Members
Re: Two Mint Condition Murano Lamps - Any Info About These?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 10:49:12 PM »
The label is generic I believe. If you jump over to Fossilfly and look at their label file there are 2 examples on different manufacturers pieces.

Love the lamps and the light in the base. The lamps remind me a bit of the murano mushroom lamps but that means nothing.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 12:32:31 AM »
Aye, it was used by a consortium of Murano glass factories in the 1980s.

The common concensus on Fossilfly and elsewhere seems to be that the 022 code on this label is Venini... but none of the items that it pops up on are terribly Venini-ish and are never in conjunction with a Venini label, so I'm very sceptical.

002 does, however, pop up with Venini labels, so perhaps something's been lost in translation along the way?

Offline Funky Nun

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 07:10:20 PM »
Dear Ardy and Pinkspoons,

Thank you so much for your replies!!!!

I contacted several Murano glassmaking sites, and they all said pretty much the same thing -- that the stickers on the lamps are the stickers of the old Consorzio Vetri Murano that closed about 15 years ago, and none of that info is available anywhere (???). A few also commented as Ardy did, that it does look like the Murano mushroom type lamps (this mushroom-esque lamp I found online also has the same sticker as mine - http://www.fossilfly.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=773 and also has a base that lights up).

If you have any more suggestions as to how I might possibly be able to find out any info about these lamps, as I would very much like to sell them and wouldn't at all want to misrepresent these lamps in any way to anyone...

Thank you again for taking the time to get back to me...!!!

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 08:47:59 PM »
After spotting, but not buying, a giant ceiling lamp bearing the 022 label last year I do occasional searches for it in Google and on eBay to see if I can find another - the only thing that I've noticed is that the consortium label never appears alongside a maker's label.

Whoever it is, they do seem to have had the same source for metal light fittings as VeArt - but I assume these were just bought in. As nice as the mysterious 022 lamps tend to be, VeArt glass tends to be of a much better quality.

I think the only chance of pinning the factory down would be to find one that pre- or post-dates the consortium that might have a maker's label.

???

Offline Funky Nun

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 10:19:19 PM »
Hi Pinkspoons,

VERY grateful that you have shed some light (?!) on my lamps! So I guess these probably aren't authentic Murano lamps after all... If I do sell them, do you have any suggestions on what I should say they are -- as I want to be completely honest. When I bought them back in the early 80's, I had no idea that they were fakes. I just bought them in a shop because I thought they were beautiful (I especially loved that the base lights up) and I always loved (what I thought to be was) Murano glass. The label said Murano Glass, and it never occurred to me that they were otherwise way back when...

Enjoy your weekend!

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 10:52:22 PM »
Oh, no, they are from Murano! I just don't know which factory on Murano.  :)

If you want to sell them, just describe what you see and know - they're a pair of lamps with Vetri Murano consortium labels from the early 1980s. Even if you don't know exactly who made them, the Murano tag is generally enough for a lot of collectors who like a bit of reassurance with their purchases.

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 10:55:46 PM »
Hi Pinkspoons,

VERY grateful that you have shed some light (?!) on my lamps! So I guess these probably aren't authentic Murano lamps after all...
Hi I don't think Pinkspoons is saying they are NOT murano it is just that he thought they were Venini (a very good murano maker). In my book they are almost certainly murano it is just not certain who made them in murano. There is also a chance that they are Venini, there might be someone here who is more familiar with their work.

Sorry similar to PS's reply.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 11:01:46 PM »
One other thing - have a close look at the base. I have a Venini bowl that has a very faint acid etched label (look at the labels file for examples). It might be there.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 11:51:37 PM »
I think Venini had stopped acid-etching their mark by the 1980s - everything I have from this period and later has an engraved signature.

An argument against 022 representing Venini is the sheer number of lamps with the label available on eBay at any given time - Venini lighting, whilst not exceptionally rare, isn't that common either.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand