Looking for Glass on ebay? Angela's Designer Searches can help! Click here!

Author Topic: Do these qualify as chalcedony glass?  (Read 1677 times)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Do these qualify as chalcedony glass?
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 05:35:20 PM »
 ;D :-X ;)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 05:44:07 PM »
Clutha's bubbly.
I think these are both late 2Oth century, if not 21st.

I've been going demented trying to google a glassmaker, Ahmed Fouad, working in Alexandria - because he's done some very thin chalcedony-like work. I have a couple of bits, which I found in Germany a few years ago, but it looks like I'm going to have to get the camera out tomorrow.....
Cheers, Sue (M)

“All things are subject to interpretation. Whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.” Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 05:47:49 PM »
Ivo, is there any chance please of uploading a picture that blows up much larger?
I can't see the detail in the decor   :'(
thanks
m

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 06:54:53 PM »
Anyone want to put money on it ? mine has been id  by several people at a lecture at Huntercombe Manor  where there were major collectors of Clutha glass . Ray Annenberg and i sold a massive piece that went to an exhibition in Milan with a friend of ours , he has since written a book containg new information on Clutha glass .
When i first joined the forum and mentioned my Hellen and Hana Walton bowls it was suggested they were not important or valuable , opinions seem to have changed now , so i do occasionally get things right also when i said Royo was Gordiola not Moser i was told i had it wrong . Ivos piece is in several books and sales catalogues . jp  ::) , Ohhh i forgot to mention one small thing ... The Designer . Christopher Dresser
                                                                                                                             Knowledge is Power  ;)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 07:57:16 PM »
http://www.fieldingsauctioneers.co.uk/resultsLotDetails.asp?lotsID=19067&menuItemOn=2&salesID=56&hasImage=1
this has a similarish feel to the decor and no bubbles
Ivo, please please can we have a closer picture?  I really would love to get a look at it as I've never seen a piece in real life  :)
thanks
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 09:10:19 PM »
  I thought this one also looked similar - it does have bubbles in it on enlarged pics.  http://collections.glasgowmuseums.com/viewimage.html?oid=50108&i=395113
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
    • old website
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 09:24:44 PM »
I have seen the collection of Clutha held by the Hungarian museum of decorative arts and all their pieces are large and thick. I have also noticed that if you google Chalcedony glass one of the first hits you get is a standard colour in lampworking prefabs - so I do believe lightweight items are  made quite a lot. I will try and get some detail shots tomorrow in daylight of both these items. I think this discussion is fascinating.
Ivo
► BLUE HENRY ◄
 New Book: The Almost Forgotten Story of the Blue Glass Sputum Flask

all texts and pictures (c) Ivo Haanstra.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
    • old website
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 08:46:17 AM »
Three more pictures: the amber translucency, the detail on the outside which can be felt with a nail, and the underside...
Ivo
► BLUE HENRY ◄

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
    • old website
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 08:50:13 AM »
and three more of the small bottle - it would be fab if it were clutha but somehow it seems a bit smallish for that.
Ivo
► BLUE HENRY ◄

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 10:27:37 AM »
Well for a start see Christopher Dresser by Stuart Durant page 128 Clutha vase by Dresser based on a Roman vase seen by Dresser at the British Museum that now is the V&A
The small vase to the right i have a candlestick based on that . 

See also Exhibition catalogue New Century june 1999 Item G 002 with some small white streaks .
Michael Whiteway Christopher Dresser1834-1904 page 194 .
Dare i say ,,,, one of the Millers Guides as well .
Having seen your new pictures i wouldnt be surprised if you have two Dresser pieces . did they come from the same source ? although not a shape i have seen .

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Enter key words
Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com