No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Do these qualify as chalcedony glass?  (Read 4436 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Do these qualify as chalcedony glass?
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 10:46:54 AM »
Same market different dealers. I think the first one could be anything - even wmf lavaluna, rindskopf or murano. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 11:12:17 AM »
off topic but I needed your attention Ivo  ;D
Are there any fleamarkets on Fridays in Amsterdam?  or any recommendations for antiquey/vintage places open on Fridays please?
thanks  :)
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 11:29:32 AM »
Any other day of the week you could go to De Looier - the only antique mall. But they are closed on Fridays!

Waterlooplein has gone down and down - i have not been there for years. it is more for funky clothes which smell of patchouli.

other than that I wouldn't know.

Which Friday are you talking of specifically?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 11:39:22 AM »
Next Friday 11th and uuuhh I can't believe they are closed Friday.  Typical though  :) I haven't yet done our 'itinerary' but we will squash in museum or gallery type thing, some shopping maybe, and live music somehow  ;D
m

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2012, 05:19:39 PM »
I see there have been no takers on my bet , the offer still stands .

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2012, 06:36:29 PM »
JP I'm with you.  I think it is clutha (not that my saying that is anything to go on lol, just instinct).  but I am curious, I was under the impression that Dresser pieces of clutha were marked.
m

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2012, 07:17:13 PM »
No M very few are marked but a friend has or had a marked one the same as Ivos and mine , i believe it was Liberty that insisted theirs were marked as was  often the case in those days , also about the bubbles , its like saying its not Whitefriars because its not got bubbles but it was only a certain period that most pieces from Whitefriars were bubbled , if you check the books on Clutha the  pictures show many pieces without bubbles , in the early books most pieces were bubbled because they didnt recognise the pieces without bubbles as Clutha , one of the best books on Dresser and Clutha is a fairly new book  by a friend of mine Chris Morely , Chris is an associate of Harry Lyons , if you know Dresser say no more .

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2012, 07:24:44 PM »
yes I know both those names.
And I know what you mean about only certain pieces being known about.  I now have numerous glass books and just took 5 out the library this week - the number of pieces of glass that are repeated from book to book is frankly....annoying.  I was very disappointed with most of them.  To be fair some are 'period' books so glass is just one part, but the paucity of pieces and repetition of known pieces was irritating.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2012, 04:06:11 AM »
I tried to read all the responses, but somehow got lost along in the clutha the way. So pardon if this is out of place. Ivo, both pieces look like chalcedony glass to me. The first piece has more of a slag look, but I found other pieces online that resemble it that were called calcedonio by the makers.

The vase in the second picture at first look reminded me of some of the Phoenician glass, but when I looked closer, the calcedonio bands were obvious. Much of the new Murano calcedonio glass is partially transparent. Even if the glass layer is thin, it will still be calcedonio if the chemical/physical techniques are used. So being transparent wouldn't be a consideration. (I'm not saying your vase is newer, only that calcedonio doesn't have to be thick.)

The first item -- a footed vase? -- is particularly lovely. It reminds me of the classic calcedonio. The second is also nice, but doesn't have the same appeal.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2012, 05:50:56 AM »
Thank you - you have just confirmed what i thought all along, that these are chalcedony glass. I have looked at hundreds of examples in the last couple of days and see that there are oodles of varieties - and even clutha is a variation on a theme.
As for clutha, i'll keep an open mind but i still think it is not vry likely

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand