Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > British & Irish Glass

Chance Ashtray Robert GOODDEN - Superb design: functional,beautiful,made to last

<< < (3/8) > >>

flying free:
yes they are one of  the two weirdest, not nicest, things about glass that I've come across - only superseded by  that icey type effect that looks like glue has been sprayed on and then a frosted coating which has all been pulled into v or fan shaped shapes at different angles all over it.  I couldn't actually bear to handle a piece of glass with that on.
m

chopin-liszt:
 :'(

When I was very young, our juice glasses were covered in bands of matthey crinkles.
I keep telling folk mother was a sadist.......... ;D

keith:
Don't like the idea of crinkles either,my blue one is marked 'Parker' the pale,non uv,green one is marked 'Fibreglass'

flying free:
my uv green one wasn't marked at all and it was a different mould to the blue one I think.  It had a sort of textured band round it.  I don't think the blue one has that - will go and check.
m

David E:

--- Quote from: keith on May 02, 2012, 12:40:56 PM ---Not seen a yellow one,how many colours did they do? ;D

--- End quote ---
Just adding to this thread as I have a little more to offer (missed it first time around).

A yellow one is unusual, so was this opaque or clear, M?

But of the colours I know of:

OPAQUE
Blue
Green (Keith, if your other green one isn't uranium, this is probably later)
Yellow
Opal White

CLEAR/TRANSLUCENT
Blue
Amber
Green
Clear (flint)

MATTHEY CRINKLES
Yellow crinkles onto clear

Apart from these there are many variations to the embossing on the base: Parker; Chance; Fibreglass; With Compliments of Chance (plus others). I also have two examples where the top ring is embossed. Additionally, there are some with transfers affixed and a few that are (ahem) tetradecagon (OK, that's 14-sided  ;) ) in a translucent blue. These appear in this thread.

ANOMALIES
A very deep-amber, which borders on being ruby. It also has a slightly different base, so could have been an early trial glass mix.
A clear glass one that's been engraved!

More will be revealed when the second book's released.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version