No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chance Ashtray Robert GOODDEN - Superb design: functional,beautiful,made to last  (Read 9364 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I could have added this to another thread, but I think this deserves a thread on on it's own.  I like to buy most of our things second hand or 'pre-loved' and I like to use things that are well designed (obviously 'in my eyes' as I guess all these things are down to personal preference). 

To me that means functional foremost but also beautiful and of quality construction, made to last, and as an added extra should also be mould breaking in design or absolutely of it's time.

I bought this to add to my glass collection, but I do think these ashtrays fulfil all those criteria and are the most stunning piece of design. 

I had a green sludge coloured uranium one and sold it.  I have seen one in a superb yellow but at the time didn't buy it as it was chipped (and now I kick myself because I have never ever seen another).  This one is a lavender blue, more lavender in the flesh than the photo depicts.

I do think they should be in the Design Museum. 
m

Offline scavo

• Members
Re: Chance Ashtray Robert GOODDEN - Superb design:
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 11:31:36 AM »
Agree with you 100%.

Can only add that it reminds me of the UNDERGROUND signs.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
yes you're right  :)
m

Offline keith

• Members
Great minds think alike,the one on the left is uv reactive ;D ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I sold my uv one.  Regret it slightly  ::) but I'm hanging out to find another yellow one  ;D
m

Offline keith

• Members
Not seen a yellow one,how many colours did they do? ;D

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Why has it got Parker in relief script on the base?   Parker pens?

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I believe so.
I've fondled Christine's U-one. It has a very satisfying and comfortable feel. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Sue they are incredibly tactile aren't they, and heavy?  another plus for the design.
Bernard the Parker is for I think Parker Beacon  a tobacco company.
It is quite difficult to find these now, especially those not damaged by having their 'wings' knocked.
Keith I don't know how many colours but I've just seen one in banded yellow matthey crinkles on clear  :o - not nice - I'm quite sure Robert Gooden didn't think of matthey crinkles decorating his designs  when he came up with it ;D
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Whoever came up with matthey crinkles was a sadist.  :P

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum