No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pair of doves . zebrato fenice? Cenedese??  (Read 3380 times)

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
Pair of doves . zebrato fenice? Cenedese??
« on: May 03, 2012, 10:06:25 AM »
Hi

I bought these recently from UK as they seemed the same as the Cenedese inscribed pair shown a few months ago by Ross in Melbourne (Ahremck) . I have seen this colour and design on a Cenedese bowl described as above - Zebrato Fenice- but am not sure what it means. Google translate says in English it means zebra phoenix. I see the stripes being the zebra bit, but where does a phoenix come in?

So - several questions please. Are they Cenedese? And what does the description mean ? and any idea of age ? There is no base wear but they do have felt protectors on them.

They are 28cm long and 11 cm high approx (11 inches x 4.5 inches)

Thanks

Jackie
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,46557.0.html  Link to Ross's posts re his pair

jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Pair of doves . zebrato fenice? Cenedese??
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 12:18:01 PM »
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,38755.msg214503.html#msg214503
Hi Jak, there is a longish discussion from this post on the thread downwards on Zebrati.  I thought fenice was some kind of pulled feathered technique  :-\
m

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 12:28:01 PM »
Thanks M .
That thread doesn't really seem to relate to the looks of my birds - that Zebrati seems to be an altogether different striped effect being discussed.

The pulled feather explanation for Fenice makes sense - it does look as if a feather has been pulled across the lines to make the curved shapes.

The words Zebrati fenice I picked up from the Design and Arts Ebay sales - they had a Cenedese bowl (ashtray) for sale in exactly the same colour and pattern as these birds have  and that is how they described it .
So perhaps they used it as a generalised description of something with stripes and the pulled feather effect??

Thanks
Jackie

jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 01:14:45 PM »
Someone with better knowledge will come along shortly and be able to explain it I am sure ;D
Perhaps Zebrati is one of those 'names' that get bandied about but not always used in the context of the original description of how zebrati was constructed?
m

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 01:16:17 PM »
I think - Fenice- means  - Venetian-  a style that was usually  the pulled looped feathers as mentioned . Zebrati is just stripes as in Zebra .
Two different techniques .
The Seguso familys private glass collection was known as the Fenice collection , for what its worth  all very confusing .

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 11:02:31 PM »
Given that my marked pair are Cenedese, and I believe they are, so are yours.  Both the size, and attitude, of each is so similar I would find it hard to conclude otherwise.  The only difference seems to be yours uses red instead of white to achieve the same result.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 03:27:15 AM »
Jackie, I usually get in trouble when I talk technique, but I thought I would chime in. I am a bit looser than many when I think of techniques. I believe the Italian companies are, as well. Fenicio refers to applying filaments of glass to the outside of a vessel or sculpture, then pulling the filaments in loops in some manner -- how, I don't know (I wonder if this is done with a mold.). Zebrati refers to applying glass in a continuous concentric swirl to get a striped appearance. Putting the two together, I can envision the glass maker applying the filaments of glass in a continuous spiraling fashion (zebrati) to the outside, then forming the fenicio loops. When I first learned about fenicio, I thought it was strictly a fasce (on the surface), but I see many cased things that are called fenicio. So I have loosened my strict definition of what fenicio is.

I have pictures of a couple of doves like this that are signed "Fabio Tosi." This is not contradicting Cenedese, just adding some information. Apparently Fabio Tosi designed them for Cenedese.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 04:21:26 AM »
I still have the same reservations about the term zebrati that I had in the previous thread. I think this is fenicio (the term comes from Phoenician, where the technique was developed, I think, no access to books right now).  Fenicio is created by a special tool, a metal comb that is drawn through the applied lines.

Very nice birds, btw.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 10:59:25 AM »
Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions. I am happy that they are Cenedese as per Ross's pair (I did get his opinion before I bid) And I think I understand the reasons for the description of the design as used by Design and Arts,  even if it is used somewhat loosely.

And I think they are very nice too David - I was most upset when the seller Ross bought from in Melbourne would not consider mailing them - I couldn't even bid for those.  It must be Karma that I have found these ......  :D

regards

Jackie

jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum