No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars cane?  (Read 3786 times)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Whitefriars cane?
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 02:25:14 PM »
Hi Mike,

Star canes can look like many others. The example you refer to from Hollister are separate star canes, whereas in your weight the star is a central section within a thick blue surround. It is not the same type of cane. Also, it is unfortunate that earlier books, such as Hollister's from 1969, show examples of weights as "Whitefriars", which are now known to be later (1920s - 1950s) "Old English". All three images on page 171 of Hollister are examples of this error in identification.

The description in Flemming & Pommerencke, page 30, is sadly not very useful. Many people these days refer to the typical Whitefriars base finish as a "button" - which is better but still not too meaningful until an actual example has been seen.

Derek showed a photo of a Whitefriars base in another message - see here. There is a definite concave and polished central section with a distinct indented ridge around the central area leaving a thick, rounded outer rim.

Your weight has a flat basal rim around the outer edge and the whole interior is a shallow concave area. There is no separate area within a ridged rim as with the Whitefriars finish.

Derek's comment about a cane being "pushed through" might be correct, but is not what I was suggesting. If the blue colour is simply a thin outer layer over a white core (white is often used as a base upon which colour is applied) then it may be the white core that is showing through. However, using photos, it is not easy to say what has actually happened.

Your weight, with its "basal rim finish" is interesting as it suggests an older piece but its identification may take a while. I do not recall another like like it in any of my books or for real.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mmarc77

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 08:21:02 PM »
Thanks for the great info Kev and Derek. This hobby is fascinating because of all the effort and information required to identify a weight's makers and age. It's interesting that even the publications can be inaccurate and outdated making the task even more difficult.

This forum adds a huge amount to the hobby for new collectors like myself who can get great information from experts almost instantly. The beauty and intrigue of paperweights are really a well kept secret but one I'm glad I discovered. The diversity of collecting options is amazing from antiques to moderns, abstract to millefiori to lampwork and of course country of origin.

In the past two months since I started collecting I have a learned a great deal and have made some purchase mistakes but this forum has allowed me a venue to ask questions that is invaluable. Thanks again!

Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 07:13:42 PM »
definitely not a cane.  also the base treatment - polishing is not typical, and of course it is not made using the whitefriars button.   I have a number of whitefriars trial and experimental pieces and they still have the characteristics of whitefriars which this one does not.
Martin

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand