No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help please with hallmark on silver rim of Walsh cut bowl  (Read 2536 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Help please with hallmark on silver rim of Walsh cut bowl
« on: March 23, 2006, 10:59:17 AM »
Just in, a wonderful fine heavy cut Walsh fruit bowl, pattern as Reynolds figs. 112 & 149, with close-fitting silver rim, hallmarked Sheffield 1934.

The maker's mark is "HW".   Please would some kind person provide enlightenment as to maker, location and dates.   Unfortunately my EPNS references don't provide even a hint.

I seem to have gone upmarket without the necessary reference books; very remiss of me.  :oops:

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 03:38:31 PM »
There are no publications covering makers marks because the Goldsmith's company consider them copyright and, any use of the mark in a publication is considered advertising which is against the rules of the guild.

However, they have softened a little and if you email them they will possibly tell you. However, on one mark they claimed it was not existing until I found out through another source and they then found and confirmed. Google for an address.

There is also website that covers many makers marks and this is expanding, you should find a link in a reply to a query from Ray on here somewhere... or google.

Sklounion

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 04:15:13 PM »
Bernard,
Lee and Wigfall. Made dredgers, tops etc
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 06:43:03 PM »
Thanks, gentlemen.
Quote from: "Le Casson"
... Lee and Wigfall. Made dredgers, tops etc ...

Interesting, Marcus.   My books show Lee & Wigfall abbreviating their name to the rather less innovative maker's mark "L&W", and do not record any change of company name between 1872 and 1968, other than the addition of Ltd around 1900.   How did they arrive at "HW"?

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Sklounion

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 06:51:39 PM »
Hi, Bernard,
Can't answer the logic in that, but HW is shown in Jackson's for Sheffield. It may be that another makers mark was seen as too similar. I have sent you an e-mail regarding this area.
Marcus

Sklounion

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 06:52:20 PM »
Hi, Bernard,
Can't answer the logic in that, but HW is shown in Jackson's for L and W Sheffield. It may be that another makers mark was seen as too similar. I have sent you an e-mail regarding this area.
Marcus

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 06:55:19 PM »
Hi Bernard,

Henry Wiilkinson & Co used the initials HW and HW&Co, but they went into liquidation in 1892 and were taken over by Walker & Hall.

Sorry, I can't find anything else at the moment.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 11:11:00 PM »
Also individual silversmiths within a company can often use their own makers mark. That was the case with the problem one I had.

Marcus what Jackson's edition do you have, mine is 1964 but last revision 1921?

Sklounion

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 07:06:15 AM »
Hi Frank,
Revised Third edition 1989, 2000 re-print.
regards,
Marcus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand