No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass swallow/bird Is it Chalet ? ID = Yes, it is.  (Read 6141 times)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Glass swallow/bird Is it Chalet ? ID = Yes, it is.
« on: March 29, 2012, 12:21:32 PM »
I have not had any Chalet glass and after looking for this piece the only match I can find is Chalet. It is 6.5cm High and a shade over 11cm in length. Its not marked and I have shown the base which matches some I have seen with stickers on. Thanks.
Pete. :-)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Re: Glass swallow/bird Is it Chalet ?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 06:02:16 PM »
Polite bump if no one minds. Are there any chalet collectors out there. I have looked at a lot now and I can really see why people would collect it.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 06:43:59 PM »
Hi,

I've got a few Chalet pieces, but not quite a collector. I do have the Chalet book, though. The head of the bird looks like the head of a bird in the Chalet book. I couldn't see a tail like that, though. All the birds there have colour in them, but a thread on the Chalet site says that some clear were made. I'd recommend posting on the Chalet site. Deborah, the site administrator, will surely tell you whether it's Chalet. The site is,

http://chaletvintage.forumotion.ca/

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 09:50:10 AM »
Hi, I also saw the ones with colour in and no mention of clear, that's why I'm unsure. I did see one with a swallow tail and it had a ridge running down the middle like these have. Everything says chalet but I need confirmation. I have registered on the chalet site and will update on here if I get an answer. Hope it is, would be a good find for £1 in a box of bits at a boot fair and no damage either  :D Thanks for the tips langhaugh. Pete

Offline chaletvintageartglass

• Members
    • Chalet Vintage Art Glass Gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 01:17:31 AM »
Hi there,

Yes - this is Chalet and you did get a good find. Chalet produced clear crystal lines of animals and other products for 2 distributors - one in Canada  (N.C. Cameron & Sons Ltd) and one for the mega Riekes Crisa out of Omaha, Nebraska. They also produced 2 huge lines of coloured animal figurines that were more typically distributed in Canada. Chalet was the first Canadian art glass sent to London for distribution - I do not have any details of what lines were sent and who the British distributor was. The distribution channel there only lasted a short time  - not more than 2 years. Your bird is not as common as another with a scissored tail (see below) but that was not unusual for the pure crystal pieces as the Americans wanted "different".

Hope that you continue to look at and appreciate Chalet. Now that you have found it - easy to become a fan!

Deborah
Deborah (chaletvintageartglass)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Re: Glass swallow/bird Is it Chalet ? ID = Yes, it is.
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 10:55:54 AM »
The problem is I only (or I'm only supposed to) buy to sell as its the only way to save  for my sons wedding. He cant get married in England, noooo, has to be Wales :D But I am finding it increasingly difficult to sell on as I am slowing turning into a collector. I have a stash of  pieces, and I seem to favour clear glass ??(don't tell the boss) Chalet Glass has caught my eye but will probably not see much up here in NE England. Very distinctive clarity and look to it. So sadly it will have to be moved on and I will only get to enjoy it a bit longer, except in photo's  :-[.

Thanks Deborah for the great and detailed info, it is appreciated.

Offline chaletvintageartglass

• Members
    • Chalet Vintage Art Glass Gallery
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 05:34:08 PM »
Hi again Pete,

Interesting that you mentioned the clarity. Reason for that - actually crystal. Riekes Crisa insisted that Chalet increase the lead content in their pieces to over 24% as they were/are distributors of crystal. So they did across the board and we all still reaping the benefits

If you ever come across any Chalet history over there - let me know. Love to find out who handled their London distribution.

Stay in touch via the Chalet forum. You can still "look" even if you can't touch. :)

Deborah
Deborah (chaletvintageartglass)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 02:30:07 PM »
I have registered on the chalet forum and will be looking out for Chalet glass. It does hurt to sell on some pieces but needs must. If I find a good piece I would now see it as an investment (its what Im telling the boss : ) ) and display it. Thanks for your time Deborah.   Pete

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand