No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sommerso vase, purple/blue/clear, Seguso VdA?  (Read 2301 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Sommerso vase, purple/blue/clear, Seguso VdA?
« on: May 07, 2012, 08:37:46 PM »
I have this heavy Sommerso vase (height 22 cm) for quite some time now, and thought it was generic Murano and nothing special... until I saw this ebay listing today showing a very similar vase with a Seguso Vetri d'Arte label.

Does the label on that vase look authentic, and do the experts think mine could be from the same maker? 8)

Thanks,
Michael

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Sommerso vase, purple/blue/clear, Seguso VdA?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 02:07:16 AM »
I checked out the auction, but I'm not sitting comfortably. I looked at a completed listing for an Archimede Seguso perfume bottle and also did not feel comfortable with it. I can't say anything for sure, but I have this little caveat emptor flag waving. (May be my own imagination, but I take it you also get the feeling from what you wrote.)
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 04:05:13 PM »
Anita, thanks for your reply!
That's approximately what I thought, too.

So a slight possibility, but far from a confirmed ID....

Michael

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 09:31:57 AM »
Hi rocco, I have reservations on saying yes at all to both being SVdA at the moment. Although, the colour combo on the ebay listing is similar to a few pieces I have seen but I have not seen any others about in this shape.

Yours though I would say no. If the ebay listed one is a SVdA piece, the height of your piece does not match that height (i own quite a few SVdA pieces and I have found there is rarely a variance in the dimensions of the pieces, especially of 6cm) along with the colour combo used. That colour is combo is just not a SVdA combo.

Best to leave as unconfirmed on the ebay listed piece. I am 50/50!

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 05:32:53 PM »
Thanks, kane!
Though it is a nice vase, it would have surprised me a little if it was Seguso vdA.

On the other hand I saw a labeled single coloured parrot with Seguso vdA label recently on the fleamarket, which I never would have attributed to Seguso either...

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand