No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby Plinth 2531  (Read 1991 times)

Offline meegs

• Members
Sowerby Plinth 2531
« on: May 09, 2012, 03:14:19 AM »
Good Afternoon everyone,
Well it has taken me a few years but I'm delighted with my early Mothers Day present!
It is another one of those pieces which I thought I would be most unlikely to find.
Cheers
meegs
(Who really is just sharing her delight with like minded people ie showing off!)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Sowerby Plinth 2531
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 07:44:28 AM »
Congratulations, you lucky gal!!!

Now, to complete the trio of eclectic Sowerby plinths, only the reversed 2602 plinth that fits under the 2602 rose bowl (the legs fit over the raised central part), and the early monster oval footed 2487 plinth that fits under the large 10" 2487 boat, see here.

Shouldn't take you long.    ;D

Bernard C.  8)

ps — any chance of a photograph of the number, please, so we can see which set of punches the mouldmaker used?
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline meegs

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 08:11:22 AM »
Bernard,
I noticed on that well know world wide Internet auction site a plinth numbered 2528 also fitting the Bull rush and frog vase, was this an alternative choice for the purchaser? Or an earlier or later or easier to produce version?
The tall Vase also came with an insert or frog (cog style) would this have been original?
I wondered if it was a marriage of sorts although it fits well -tapered- and is correct colour.

Cheers and thanks,
meegs

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 05:00:03 PM »
Congratulations! Have you noticed that it looks a little like Mickey Mouse in silhouette.

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 04:04:23 AM »
Meegs — Sowerby pattern numbers were always strictly sequential.   So a plinth could have the same number as the bowl or vase it was made for, or a slightly later number, or a much later number, as in the case of the 2505 Posy — a later size.   I haven't found any examples the other way around, but it's possible.   Once a general purpose round plinth had been made it became available for anything appropriate it would fit.

My experience of 2525 frogs and bulrushes is that it turns up most frequently without a plinth, then on a general purpose round Sowerby plinth.   Obviously the 2528 and 2531 specials were available at launch, but how they were sold is not known.   For example it could have been 2528 for bowls and 2531 for vases.   Some wholesalers and retailers might have preferred a standard round plinth for simplicity of stock control and ease of replacement in the event of a breakage.

The Sowerby 2487 star flower holder is the only correct fitment for the upright 2525 vase.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline meegs

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 04:19:13 AM »
Thank-you Bernard for that information.
I've now identified the insert/frog/flower holder that came with the tall vase as being 2487, thanks to google and Christine's (Lustrousstone's) photo gallery.
Cheers
meegs

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand