No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ethical dilemma  (Read 6731 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Ethical dilemma
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 11:02:52 AM »
They can be displayed upright, which solves the space problem.
(Although I was recently contemplating the notion of sticking 4 padded and disguised nails in the wall, and propping a plate in them...)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 12:08:17 PM »
Thanks - I have Googled the name and looked - some beautiful designs. I have learned something today :-)

And thanks for the suggestion  Sue,  re displaying the bowls.

Jackie
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 05:21:14 PM »
I hope this doesn't mean I'm an unethical person, but surely one of the joys of these on-line auctions (and car boot sales etc) is finding a piece that you know and recognise as being more valuable than it is being sold for?  The seller doesn't lose anything by exchanging the item for an amount of money that s/he had hoped to get.
Nancy

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 06:07:21 PM »
Exactly

Offline singingyamada

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 10:48:03 PM »
I know.  I want my bowl and no Jiminy Cricket in my ear.   I am getting excited. I have sworn to stop buying but when the elephants in the room............... ::)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 11:09:31 PM »
That's the third one I've seen on Australian eBay, only one id'd correctly and it didn't make difference to the price (I bought one). I'd bid up to what I was prepared to pay, and then wait and hope.  Australia and Canada must have been the prime market for these.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline singingyamada

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 11:17:30 PM »
we did get a lot of Czech refugees in the 60's .  I bought some mstisovglass that was described as art deco. whe n I look through ebay Au for Czech stuff its usually coloured and gold.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 06:37:21 AM »
Much more likely to be imported rather than to have arrived with immigrants. The Czechs have always been big exporters of glass around the world.

Offline singingyamada

• Members
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 07:16:07 AM »
trouble is we are not too good with Czech glass. I am getting smarter at asking people what they used to id their stuff. And I get "you kinda know' to great sellers with heaps of references. I think here we are a little more "mooranoh " infatuated. And trust me there is is heaps of "murano"

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 07:51:15 AM »
If the seller, like me a few times, hasn't done his homework to find out what they are selling and has, like me, put a starting price that he is happy to sell at then bid and be lucky. If we told every seller that they had a piece selling that is worth a lot more than they are asking, where would we get the great finds ? It would also ruin the collectors /sellers market ;D ;D ;D as we would all pay top dollar I sold a piece that I didn't know was worth 3-4 times the price I listed it for with  BIN. I only found out months later what the piece was. Also sold a piece with a very low start price and it got bid up to £50. I didn know what I had but obviously lots did. I don't feel bitter losing out as it works both ways and its a lesson learned. Bid on it at your Max price your willing to pay and I hope you get it for a bargain price as they are the pieces that put a bigger smile on your face. Good Luck and let us all know if you got it, a pic with the piece and the smile would be good ;D

P.S. I saw a Nachtmann piece in ebay completed listings (it shows what pieces are selling for and not what the sellers are asking). I did message them and told them to list as Nachtmann. It sold well and the seller emailed me a thank you.
Pete. :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand