No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ethical dilemma  (Read 6725 times)

Offline singingyamada

• Members
Re: Ethical dilemma
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 08:00:08 AM »
I have assuaged my guilt by emailing some sellers and telling them what it is if I am not interested so I am going to just bid on this one.  No more dilemma.  mind you when the op shop ladies howled me down once over some dragon ware which was so OTT I just  shut up walked around and that's  when I met Nanny Still for $2 ;D and I have told one oppie manager that some glass is chinese.  I mean I have gambled enough on chinese rubbish to be well familiar with it thanks to the board here. ::)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 09:31:55 AM »
My Ethical Dilemma ........I have been in Charity Shops and will let them know if I see a piece (not just glass) would still sell for a lot more than they are asking. I get asked by staff a few times a week and am willing to help or search on my phone (why they dont have internet access is beyond me). One Shop has a manger that really really dislikes me as she feels I am ripping them off (a staff member informed me) by buying items to sell online.( I always pay the asking price, some people barter in Charity shops) She has basically told her staff not to talk to me  ;D ;D I now take great delight in buying a piece and after paying I like her to hear me saying  how I love this shop it has some great pieces. A little childish some would say and I agree but I spend a fair amount of money in there on things I need not just to sell. (unused HP printer with inks for less than a replacement ink cartridge)  Its called Donating money is it not ? I do still let the assistant manager know about pieces if the boss is out  ;D I asked her if she could spare a moment but she gives me the dirtiest of looks and walked away (I tried  ::)). It did make me feel unwelcome for some time but I decided she is the one with a problem and not me. I think she smiles when I leave the shop empty handed which is surely a bad thing for the shop. Good deeds are sometimes not welcomed. Try telling a seller that the piece they are selling is not whitefriars worth a hundred but a very rare Ikea piece worth 3 for a tenner and see what they say  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Pete. :-)

Offline singingyamada

• Members
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 09:55:31 AM »
I dont know why they don't have access to the internet and some use "the book " Carters antique price books which show retail. And thus items sit there for ages.  You have to figure out what  the volunteers put worth on. eg, fine one china with lots of flowers, more fine bone china, some Australian pottery, clear glass, cut glass, pressed glass , carnival glass any thing that's arty they think is murano. And so people like me who would spend heaps now spend nothing,. Oh and Japanese stuff is 2nd rate unless its noritake.  The out of the fog, they miss something and I strike.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 10:11:31 AM »
I think here we are a little more "mooranoh " infatuated. And trust me there is is heaps of "murano"

I think that's a worldwide phenomenon.  "Murano" is all over Allegro (a Polish online auction site). Even Poland's most respected auction house, DESA, has several "Murano" pieces which are actually Czech.  (For example: http://www.desa.pl/pl/wystawy/21910_sztuka-pod-choinke/21288_014.html)

What really entertains me is when wannabe-glass-and-decor-experts go on and on about the beauty of Murano glass and use photos to support their point: http://www.minty.pl/index.php/2009/11/22/szklo-z-murano/

Ahem. No further comment.

Offline singingyamada

• Members
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 10:25:25 AM »
Oh dear! :-X

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2012, 10:58:41 AM »
I think about 80% of my Czech glass was sold to me as "Murano" (even if it had a label reading "Made in Czechoslovakia" 8))

I had an argument last week at the fleamarket with a seller who had some very good Czech pieces (Vizner, Wünsch, Svoboda), and he got quite angry -- and refused to believe me -- when I told him that almost all the wonderful glass he had was Czech...

I wouldn't worry about that ebay attribution -- nice piece as the Zemek bowl is, IMHO it is not worth a huge amount more than the seller asks.

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2012, 11:30:16 AM »
I wouldn't worry about that ebay attribution -- nice piece as the Zemek bowl is, IMHO it is not worth a huge amount more than the seller asks.

Which goes to show value is purely subjective.  I think the piece is worth quite a bit more. :)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2012, 02:01:16 PM »
As always its only worth what someone is willing to pay. Im pretty sure a piece on TV was described as Murano and was Chribska. Our Charity shops were grubby at one time now thankfully very few like that left but they are a good place for a bargain. I got 4 Edinburgh crystal glasses for £1  ;D The other end of the scale is the 'Botique' Charity shop with clothes priced at Half the original shop price or more. If I wanted to pay that much I would go to the sale of the original shop. They are pricing themselves out and have regularly heard them saying they haven't reached their target.

Sorry, I seem to have gone right off subject and might open a cafe thread to discuss the merits or otherwise of charity/op shops  ;D ;D

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2012, 02:15:15 PM »
Pete, the charity shop issue is prone to develop into an ugly discussion (if I remember correctly) 8)

Anik you're right (as usual), value is totally subjective.
I should have said that here -- only a few kilometers from Czech Republic -- I wouldn't think it would fetch much more . 1950s Skrldovice is not (yet, I hope) regarded as tremendously valuable.
But the Australian market is surely different...

As the piece in question is sold per auction and not BIN, I wouldn't worry about the seller -- he will get a decent prize I am sure.

Michael

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2012, 02:32:29 PM »
Hopefully it will  ;D Good and bad will surely be discussed. I can wear jeans and t shirts that cost £120 for around £10. Selecting the best is easy. Not as many mens clothes have the Tags on as there are on womens clothes... I wonder why  ;D ;D ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand