No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help in identification please  (Read 3612 times)

Offline mjr

• Members
Help in identification please
« on: March 23, 2006, 03:27:44 PM »
Anyone have an idea about who might have done this butterfly weight

Additional photos of profile and base
base

It may well be lucite.
This is part of an auction lot which I haven't seen in the flesh - only photographs. I bought it because of a couple of old english weights.
The decription is that they are all glass. I had not seen anything like it before but I was therefore thinking glass and never thought plastic. Unfortunately the photo of the top that I posted was the only one there was (and cropped from a group photo). I did get the larger profile and base photos as I was getting them for the other two weights. .
I'll wait until it comes. If it is lucite then the kids can have it.
Martin

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 01:56:55 PM »
Martin, it may be an ok glass one.

Do you have, or have access to, the Peter Von Brackel book - Paperweights, Historicism, Art Nouveau, Art Deco, 1842 to Present? If so, check plate 57, page 183, item 404, which seems to be the same shape facet cutting as yours and also has a fairly convincing butterfly. It's attributed as "Bohemia / Czechoslovakia, c 1900-1930". That one is set over coloured frit with a few flower petals.

Two examples with different facet cutting, are seen in Plates 56 & 59. These both have butterflies with antennae very much like yours. The first (item 401) is said to be "Probably Southern Bohemia or Hungary, c 1910-1930". The second (item 416) is, "Probably Silesia or Thuringia, c 1890-1925".
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 10:09:25 PM »
Kev
I haven't got that book. I'm not sure if anyone up here in the north has it - I will ask around. Otherwise is you have the time a scan would be appreciated but only if you have nothing better to do . However sounds very interesting. Its always nice if the gut reaction is  correct.  Definitely loking forward to receiving the weight now.

and nice cufflinks ,by the way.
Martin

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 10:24:02 PM »
Hi Martin,

Sweetbriar have a copy of the book. Even with Ray M's recent change of location, you may still be able to view (or buy?) it. Maybe Sue B can help you out?

and nice cufflinks ,by the way
I've been looking for a pair with that design for about 10 years! I will wear them with happiness. :)
KevinH

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 12:51:26 PM »
Kev

I will sort something with Ray -maybe cadge a copy of the relevant page.  Sue isn't with them any more.  She is still doing sterling NPS work however.
I though the links were nice. I just received a pair with Ysart stones (nice complex blue canes) on square base from USA on Thursday so  had those on that evening. I also have triangular and round ones
Martin

Offline m1asmithw8s

• Members
    • http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/m1asmith/
Your butterfly is a Bohemian piece
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 05:26:58 PM »
Your weight is Glass and the butterfly is constructed from a series of canes.

It's Bohemian circa the 1920s-30s.

I have one as well.

Give me your email address & I'll send you a pic of mine. [/img]

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 06:53:10 AM »
Mark

Thanks for the picture. It's very nice and is a ringer for mine. Looking forward to getting the weight and seeing the cane set up in detail.
Martin

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 11:23:11 AM »
Martin are any of your cufflinks likely to fill gaps here?  :)  http://www.ysartglass.com/PaulYsart/PYP5cuff.htm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand