No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Skrdlovice collectors thread, part II  (Read 331608 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: Skrdlovice collectors thread, part II
« Reply #120 on: October 10, 2012, 05:40:01 PM »
Last year, I was thrown out of an antiques shop and told never to return when I told the owner that his 800PLN 'Moser' was actually a 5988 Skrdlovice piece.  ::)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #121 on: October 11, 2012, 01:56:37 AM »
Anik, you're not alone in being thrown out of a store.

I was in Murano last month and saw the window display in the photo below. It took a minute to register that the pieces were all Skrdlovice/Beranek by Vizner, Palecek, Hora, and others. I went it to the store and, pointing to the display, asked, in what I hoped was an incredulous voice, "Murano?" The owner said all the pieces in the window were designed by his uncle, Giacomo something.

I happened to have my iPad with me and opened it to show him a Vizner piece the same as one in the window. "All your pieces are Czech," I said. He came back: "No, no, my uncle designed these in the 1940's The Czech and Chinese copied him."

I told him that he was a disgrace to the Murano and Czech traditions.  He then told me to leave the shop. Best guess is that the glass was remaindered when Beranek closed.

Other than that, Murano was lovely. I had a great two hours in Venini where the salesperson could not have been more helpful even although I made it clear that I wasn't buying. She brought out old catalogues and pieces, and was happy to chat about the glass. Even shook my hand when I left and thanked me for coming in.  Also directed me to the Carl Scarpa exhibition that was just opening on San Giorgio. Spectacular.  Great new book on Scarpa, too.

David

PS It's good to see that you've all been busy keeping the Skrdlovice market afloat while I was on holiday. I've got a couple new Skrdlovice pieces on my Picasa page, if anyone is interested.
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #122 on: October 11, 2012, 08:40:31 AM »
David, great story ;D
I never managed to get thrown out of a shop, I just got 2 different sellers at fleamarkets really angry at me...

Funny that most of those pieces are in colourless glass; so your assumption about them being recent Beranek production sounds reasonable.
How much did that dubious store owner ask for the pieces "his uncle had designed"?

And I think I spotted a few fabulous new Vizner whirlpool vases in your gallery...

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #123 on: October 11, 2012, 11:17:59 AM »
That's unbelievable, David, and in many ways sad. 

... unless, of course, poor uncle Giacomo was a great visionary who designed these pieces a few generations before their time and was mercilessly forced by brutes like Vizner, Exnar, Vencalek, Palecek and Hora to relinquish his designs to them. It's an ugly world.

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #124 on: October 11, 2012, 12:24:25 PM »
The photo of Czech Glass on murano is a classic. Not just one piece but a whole shop front, I cannot see any Italian glass! My reaction was more amusement than anger, I think it is quite amusing that someone would have the audacity to do it at all and as for even suggesting a relative was the designer, well really....... amazing stuff! Just after profit I guess, from tourists. I would have thought most of his fellow local Italians on murano would not be very impressed either! I don't think a shop full of murano (or Chinese or Polish glass) in Prague would last very long claiming to be local glass ..... or maybe I am being naive...

Robert (bOBA)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #125 on: October 11, 2012, 07:25:52 PM »
In the long run it was really amusing. When I meet soemone who is quite happy to lie like that, I just don't know what to say. It's so outside my usual experience. As soon as I left, I wondered what he was asking for the pieces, which I neglected to find out before the discussion with the owner.  I didn't want to go back immediately and it was closed later. Neither did I get the name of the store when I was inside and there was no name on the outside. The shop was very close to the Glass Museum on Murano.

Michael, the colour-less glass did throw me a little at first. There was some use of green but it was such a pale green. And thanks for the comment on the new Vizners. I am very happy with the new acquisitions.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #126 on: October 12, 2012, 06:48:42 PM »
One more item for my collection which I'm excited about -- a weird, cube paperweight with a swirled ball, designed by Ladislav Oliva, pattern 8815.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #127 on: October 13, 2012, 02:26:47 PM »
Nice design by Mr. Oliva, Anik! (Very 1980s post-modernistic style :) )

I just found me a matching bowl/ashtray (PN 6826/13) to the green Vizner vase I showed last week. Will take a pic when the light is better...
But I saw an interesting piece today at the fleamarket: definately cut from a Skrdlovice blank, but not to a really nice shape; the base had a big ground but unpolished circular pontil mark. Unfortunately it had several bruises and scratching to the sides, and I hesitated to buy; when I went back half an hour later to look at it once more it was gone...

Michael

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #128 on: October 17, 2012, 06:17:57 AM »
Ah, sorry I've been out of touch for a while... but I haven't given up on collecting Skrdlovice. I'll list my newer pieces:

1. 7532 by Vizner. Small version. I thought it was a candlestick, but the pattern book still says it's a vase...
2. 7608 by Ladislav Palecek
3. 8318 another Ladislav Palecek

I've added several Paleceks lately and I definitely like his work

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #129 on: October 17, 2012, 06:28:07 AM »
And a few more bubbly additions:

1. 7609 Frantisek Spinar
2. 8115 Pavel Stejskal

I got them both from the same Dutch seller (who had listed them as Murano of course). When I bought the first, I got an email from another collector who already owned both pieces and said "well, I see you bought the Spinar, but why didn't you pick up the Stejskal as well". So I have to confess my Skrdlovice sense wasn't tingling as well as it should have... Thanks Hans, for helping me add the Stejskal to my collection :)

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand