No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Skrdlovice collectors thread, part II  (Read 331626 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Skrdlovice collectors thread, part II
« Reply #150 on: November 15, 2012, 10:38:32 AM »
 ;D
I've definitely got the bug; a full-blown, incurable, life-long infection...
That's a beautiful thing, Anik - it must weigh a ton!  8) 8) 8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #151 on: November 15, 2012, 11:33:41 AM »
It's a great bug to have, Sue!  ;D

P.S. My vase is quite heavy.  It weighs 3175g.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #152 on: November 15, 2012, 11:45:52 AM »
Lovely vase, Anik! (Glad I have it already, so I don't have to turn green again ;))

Are you sure about it being a non-patternbook piece? -- 1 cm is not much in my experience for Skrdlovice of any period; almost all my pieces show differences like that (or even more) to the measurements given in the pattern books...
For instance the tall Vizner whirlpool vase I showed a few weeks ago has a diameter of 10 cm instead of the 8 given; my Palecek 8318 is 2 cm shorter than the 24 cm given...

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #153 on: November 15, 2012, 12:27:53 PM »
Michael, I can never be sure of anything.  You could be right.

I've had several 'beers' and none have ever wandered from the pattern book sizes as much as this one.  It just looks different.  Below is my fat vase and my standard-sized 7411 for comparison.

P.S. Interestingly, I have never seen a tall Vizner whirlpool that had the pattern book diameter of 8cm.  All have been 10cm or a wee bit more.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #154 on: November 15, 2012, 04:19:54 PM »
I can see the difference now ;D Very chunky proportions, I like it.

Mine is 19 cm high, and 8.5 cm wide, so quite close to the pattern book.

For instance my green-slime Svoboda vase is only a little bit over 6 cm wide (should be 8 cm according to the patternbook), my Hlava vase is an almost perfect ball shape instead of being 17 x 20 cm; and I could go on like this endlessly (but I am too lazy to measure and compare at the moment ;))
I think I have more Skrdlovice items which differ at least 1 cm from the measurements in the pattern books than ones which would have correct dimensions....

BTW, there was an extremely beautiful vase from this range on ebay.de recently -- tall version in dark blue...

Michael

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #155 on: November 15, 2012, 04:51:12 PM »
At the moment, I can't see anything past your Hlava.... and I've gone all green and gooey, Michael!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #156 on: November 15, 2012, 08:48:31 PM »
The Hlava vases are great things I agree. So is the Oliva vase. They are not that common, designed by big names and quite complex to construct and were probably expensive in their day, compared to some other pieces. Which is why they are definitely in the above average end of the price range as far as auction houses are concerned. It is really the result of the organisation of great design talent and great designers that makes Skrdlovice provide so much great glass. All great glass!

Robert (bOBA)

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #157 on: November 17, 2012, 08:55:36 AM »
My latest acquisitions, 3 out of 4 thanks to Anik:

7607 Ladislav Palecek
5989 Emanuel Beranek
7302 Jaroslav Svoboda
7303 Jaroslav Svoboda

The 7303 is a HUGE vase - just explaining since they don't seem to turn up that much (at least not where I can see them). It's about 30 cm high (29 according to the pattern), but also with quite a diameter. One of the biggest vase I have in my collection so far...

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #158 on: November 18, 2012, 02:03:38 PM »
Astrid, once again some very nice additions! (As you have probably seen, I love the Svoboda range with the blue drip decoration)
The 7303 must be a really impressive piece...
And funny that you have found the Emanuel Beranek 5989 in the shorter (non patternbook) version as well >> Link

@Sue: I can see why you like my Hlava vase -- those (I guess) silver chloride inclusions are quite unique for Skrdlovice :)

I just found me one 1950s piece, another of those nice (but yet unidentified) organic vases, lovely colourway though.
I post a few pics, maybe they can be attributed to a pattern number... (As this seems to be one of the most abundant Srkdlovice pieces from that period, it has to be in the pattern books somewhere ???)
And interesting detail: my second piece with that big silver-on-yellow label; I took a pic to compare it side by side to a "normal" size label.

Michael

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #159 on: November 18, 2012, 05:50:47 PM »
It is Jaroslav it is in the patterns,

Robert (bOBA)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum