No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Skrdlovice collectors thread, part II  (Read 331598 times)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Skrdlovice collectors thread, part II
« Reply #180 on: December 08, 2012, 03:47:59 AM »
Happy birthday Anik.

What a perfect present I'd rather arrange for the perfect present for me than let my wife make an expensive error. She probably feels the same way.  I don't see how this is in any way silly: it looks fantastic.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #181 on: December 08, 2012, 06:54:33 AM »
Oh Astrid, Astrid, Astrid...

Unfortunately, my husband is but a mere mortal, unknowledgable about glass or designers, and clueless about how to go about finding me what I'd really like for my collection.

I tracked down the vase myself, inquired about it, agreed to buy it, paid for it, made arrangements for it to be sent from the Czech Republic, retrieved it from the postman, unpacked it, thanked the seller, wrapped it, and gave it to my husband so that he could present it to me today.  A perfect present. :-X

Ah, I feel much relieved that I'm not the only one... I guess in my case the difficulty is that my husband has the notion that somehow HE should decide what he will get me for my birthday instead of me selecting it. Which means in our case that collecting and presents don't mix. To be fair, I would feel just as lost trying to select the obscure prog music for his birthday that he collects :).

And of course, I forgot, but better late than never: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, ANIK!!!!

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #182 on: December 08, 2012, 11:14:17 AM »
Oh Anik, what a fantastic present (even if you have found it yourself).
I hope one of those vases will come my way, one day...

Nothing even remotely specatacular here:

- yet another one of those fluid Jaroslav Beranek vases, nice colourway purple/blue
- Petr Hora vase, PN 8317/20 (when I bought it, I though it was probably a later execution due to the colour, but the drawing in the pattern book shows a red one, too)
- strange paperweight, 10 cm high, with a label I have not seen before (my guess would be 1990s). Dark brown, with an enclosed hard to see flattened blob of bubbles. Not sure about the pattern number, the closest I could find is 9206/10 by Ladislav Oliva.

And a belated HAPPY 40th BIRTHDAY from Vienna !!!

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #183 on: December 08, 2012, 03:11:59 PM »
Thank you for the birthday wishes.  I'm feeling loved.  :)

Michael, the ruby Hora is great -- it's the first I've ever seen in red!  The bubbly paperweight is very interesting, but if it is the 9206, why has it got a Skrdlovice label?  Did Beranek glassworks use a black Skrdlovice label right at the beginning, when the glassworks was returned to family ownership?

David, though I completely agree that my Vizner looks fantastic, I can't help but think there is something charmingly silly about it -- it makes me smile.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #184 on: December 08, 2012, 04:37:41 PM »
Anik, your Vizner is simply great, nothing silly about it :)

After looking through the pattern books once more, I think I may have found the paperweight: PN 8835/10, still Ladislav Oliva.
The drawing shows a brown ball with a lighter stripe in the middle, that's what mine approximately looks like. And the more stylized UR symbol on my label looks like the one on the cover of the 1989 catalogue on Jindrich's site.
Still have never seen that label before; my other pieces made at appr. the same time have the "normal" golden label.

Michael

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #185 on: December 08, 2012, 04:46:55 PM »
It's a perfectly fabulous bit of glass Anik, you chose very well for yourself. I'm delighted to hear you feel loved, especially for your birthday.  :-*
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #186 on: December 08, 2012, 05:01:58 PM »
A Skrdlovice label on a 1988 piece makes much more sense.  The Oliva 8835 looks like a good match, Michael.  Well found! 

P.S. It looks like I'm the only person on the board who sees a bit of silliness in my fabulous Vizner 'egg' vase.  Hmmmmm...

P.P.S. Thank you, Sue!  :)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #187 on: December 09, 2012, 04:36:35 AM »
Good finds, Michael. I like the Hora in red, very striking.

You're still alone on the silly, Anik. Alone, but loved, and with a fabulous piece of glass.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #188 on: December 09, 2012, 12:10:37 PM »
I was at a massive and over-the-top posh antiques fair in Amsterdam a couple of weeks ago (the sort of fair where there are no prices on things - you have to ask - and if you have to ask, you can't afford it), and I was obviously studying all the glass.

One piece did rather stand out to me - a huge block of glass, probably about 8" cubed. It had in it two wells of colour - just like your Vizner egg, but in a reddish colour and a browny one. I did ask the price, about £4,000. It was very cute - almost like a couple of slippers in glass - but I very strongly suspect whatever Italian Maestro made it, (I think it was Cenedese) they MUST have taken inspiration from your Vizner egg.  8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #189 on: December 10, 2012, 05:45:43 AM »
This one's funny, but great:  A cylindrical vase with two very large protruding rings or ears, designed by Pavel Jezek 7419 / 20cm.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand