No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Skrdlovice collectors thread, part II  (Read 331674 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: Skrdlovice collectors thread, part II
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2012, 05:30:25 PM »
Anik, thanks for your input! :)
I have not thought a second that this could be a different pattern than 5656 (which doesn't mean that I am right).
It is only 12 cm high, so smaller than the one pictured in the book I linked to.

But I think the "S"-shaped hotworked decoration of both pieces is quite distinctive (and matches the drawing perfectly); pics of these hotworked patterns are a little bit misleading due to the distortions through the thick glass...
If you compare the drawing of the 5678 in the pattern book with my blue vase the shape is quite different as well.

It is already the second of these smaller ones I have seen here, and the other one was almost identical, a little bit more ball-shaped perhaps.

BTW, I could have bought one of those 4-footed Zemek bowls yesterday, but I resisted...

Michael

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2012, 06:26:07 PM »
To my eye this is not really a straight match for the Jindrich vase as seen in other examples of this pattern, I agree the blue and green one is, as are the more common dark green ones. Even the Raban book has a near accurate attribution except for the date(!) and perhaps height even.

This example could be a reverse of the Jindrich pattern, at an angle, almost a mirror image in my opinion, which I have seen occasionally for other patterns, but I don't see it as a straight match for the ordinary Jindrich pattern, I tend to sympathise with Aniks comment.

This is at least the second time in this long, enjoyable  thread I have been uncertain about attributions. This is an issue, because, unlike normal GMB individual posts about pieces, where we are free to discuss and have filed separately attributions, discussions being sandwiched here in a long thread, makes it seem not so free and easy to discuss attributions, which makes me more cautious about commenting on Skrdlovice within this thread (other than on obvious pieces). I would rather comment about attribution in an attribution thread....... tricky... (though I am sure it is a Skrdlovice piece.....)

I am not sure if it would be more efficient to post Skrdlovice pieces separately, before being added to a Skrdlovice thread or something by moderators...... certainly I can see this issue happening again, I hope my point can be understood.... it is not a major issue affecting most of the posts but is relevant to a few. There will eventually be a post that is not even Skrdlovice and mods may be asked to remove it! But ambiguous or unusual attributions may deserve their own posts.... commenting on attributions within this post seems slightly difficult to me, I hope this is clear. I would add that I think the thread is generally accurate and impressive and enjoyable, 

all the best

Robert (bOBA)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 07:42:06 AM »
Oops.
Thanks for setting me straight, Robert!

Now I am feeling really stupid.
I had thought I was quite good in attributing 1950s Skrdlovice (and I am sure we all agree that's what this little vase is).

I didn't even realize that the pattern was the other way round. ::) I only seemed to follow the general idea of the design (which is not very different to the Jindrich Beranek pattern).

I will be more cautious in my future attributions, and I think it is a good idea to start an ID thread if the pattern is not easily recognizable.
But on the whole I agree that the thread is very accurate; not a single non-Skrdlovice/Beranek piece in it I am sure, and usually the correct PNs as well.
My two other pieces which escaped ID so far, both labeled, are my beautiful tall vase and this flattened vase David and I have discussed in a different thread (I was doing hazardous attributions. Again.)

I do hope that you will still contribute a lot in this thread, Robert!

Michael

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 09:44:21 AM »
Thanks Michael, it is, as all Skrdlovice collectors would agree a 50's Skrdlovice piece, many of us have pieces that are hard to attribute for certain from this period, I have a couple of difficult ones and so does David and Anik in their collections. I think variability of hand made production is responsible in most cases and a few pieces may never be completely "solved," happily, most can be,

Robert (bOBA)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2012, 04:09:40 PM »
I was very happy to get a Petr Hora 7911 bowl which matches the vase I got back in December (pictured below).  It's a massive piece -- 8cm tall, 12,5cm wide and weighs 1985g. The glass is 2,5cm thick.

It has got a bruise midway down, but no one has to know...

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2012, 05:13:31 PM »
The bruise doesn't diminish my admiration, Anik.  Michael and you are collecting at a furious pace right now.  A lovely piece, and both collections are getting to be very good.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2012, 11:53:46 AM »
I've acquired a 6913 (at least I think it is...) by Rudolf Beranek, to accompany my 6915 that I already had in my collection (which I'll add to the thread as well, since we haven't had one in it yet I believe). The base colour of my 6915 bowl is light blue, the vase 6913 is clear.

The only thing that bothers me slightly is that the size of the 6913 vase should be 33 cm according to the patternbook, but mine is much smaller, around 20 cm high. Can't remember if that was ever discussed here...

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2012, 02:28:01 PM »
Anik, lovely bowl!
I can live with bruises on my favourite pieces... (And I even overpaid for a slightly chipped piece just because I had to have it :) )

Astrid, that Beranek design is strangely attractive; I have never seen a piece from this range in reality...
I would think the PN could be 6914 / 21 (though I don't know why there is no picture to this number in the pattern book).

David, thanks for the kind words - but looking at your gallery I am convinced I will never catch up (but I will try ;D)
At the moment I am focussing a little on my German glass collection -- until the next piece of Skrdlovice comes my way.
BTW, is that stunning strapped Zertova vase a new purchase, or did it just escape my attention?

Michael

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2012, 06:11:46 AM »
Michael,

You have a very sharp eye. No wonder you pick up those great pieces in flea markets. Yes, the Zertova is a recent acquisition.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2012, 09:19:22 AM »
My latest Skrdlovice acquistion, 29 cm high.

I have no doubt whatsoever it is Skrdlovice, and I was almost sure it was Frantisek Vizner, a variation on his 7117 pattern or some later number by his design, but when looking for it I noticed the Ladislav Oliva design 7702 (28 cm high) it looked like it could be a match. I'm not entirely sure though.

It would be ironic if it were by Oliva, since I've been trying to acquire something by him for months now, and when I bought it I was 95% sure I was buying Vizner :) Though, of course, the style would be quite influenced by Vizner.

Anyway, Sypka auctions seems to think this type of pattern is by Oliva: http://www.sypka.cz/vaza-model-c-7702-navrh-r-1977/a56/d12835/

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand