No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Skrdlovice collectors thread, part II  (Read 331602 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: Skrdlovice collectors thread, part II
« Reply #200 on: December 26, 2012, 01:16:06 PM »
Thanks David!

;D This doesn't belong here, but I thought it would be fun to show it anyway:
"Almost" a Vizner whirlpool vase, 24.5 cm high.

I thought it looked quite wonky when I spotted it, and imagine my surprise when I turned it around and saw a big and perfect polished pontil mark and a Jindra Beranek signature.
I never knew that he made things like this one; so far I have only seen his 1950s-organic-Skrdlovice-inspired pieces.
Still a nice vase...

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #201 on: December 26, 2012, 01:28:25 PM »
Oooo, I find your new piece very interesting, Michael!  Would you know the rough year Jin Beranek designed this?

I like it. :)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #202 on: December 26, 2012, 03:25:24 PM »
Thanks Anik (and a belated Merry Christmas :) )

In >> this thread is some more info by Robert and Jindrich about Jindra Beranek's work in Austria.
I have read that he worked for Lobmeyr from around 1974/75, and opened his own studio in Bad Tatzmannsdorf in 1976, but don't know how long he continued to make glass there...

Michael

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #203 on: December 27, 2012, 11:39:10 AM »
Hi all. Fascinating vase. I do not know what to say about this except it is a Vizner design for Skrdlovice that Jindirch must have copied for amusement or profit, or an exhibition or something. The technology to create it had been evolved by Jan Beranek and Vizner. It is a real surprise to see this design having a Jindrich style signature and polished pontil rod mark.  I understand that things were not always smooth between the Beraneks. This vase is a slight mystery. I have seen one other Vizner vase with a polished pontil rod mark, being sold in CZ, unsigned. I did hear that Jindrich Beranek was still alive in Vienna.... very interesting......

Robert (bOBA)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #204 on: December 27, 2012, 02:19:44 PM »
Merry (belated) Christmas to all as well!

Michael, thank you for the link. I forgot that Jindra Beranek had been discussed previously. I've bookmarked it now for future reference. And Robert, thank you for the additional information. Who needs soap operas when we've got the intriguing world of glass. :)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #205 on: December 27, 2012, 03:07:44 PM »
Robert, thank you so much for the additional info!

As I said, it came as quite a surprise to me as well that Jindra Beranek made a piece like this (though I have seen quite a lot of pieces by him during the past years, and several of them were copies of -- or inspired by -- Emanuel Beranek shapes, but none of later Skrdlovice patterns so far).
The base finish and signature are very typical for him, so I have no doubt about it being a "real" Jindra Beranek ;D

If on purpose or not, the shape towards the top is not as perfect as in Skrdlovice Vizner vases, and neither are the swirling air bubbles as nicely executed (I guess it is far from easy -- even for an experienced glass maker -- to produce such a piece).
Though a very attractive vase, I would have prefered if it was a little bit more Jindra and less Vizner (shape, colours...)

Michael

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #206 on: January 06, 2013, 12:33:25 PM »
Two nice Skrdlovice pieces to start the new year (I seem to focus on Mr. Svoboda, but more or less accidentially)

- huge plate, 36 cm diameter, PN 7320, with a fake signature ;D
- ball vase, PN 7421/15

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #207 on: January 06, 2013, 06:55:56 PM »
Love the Svoboda plate, Michael!  Very substantial at 36cm.  What a great find.  I also think the 7421 is lovely -- I'm waiting for one to arrive too, but with a topaz frill rather than green. :)

Happy new year!

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #208 on: January 06, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »
Nice plate, Michael. I like plates although I still haven't found a way to display them.  Svoboda designs are invariably interesting, like the ball vase with the thick lip.

I wonder if the signature on the plate is the original owner's name?

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #209 on: January 07, 2013, 09:29:45 AM »
The plate is very beautiful indeed, but I have no idea how (or where) to display it -- absolutely no space to display it "flat", and much too heavy to hang it...
I hadn't condsidered that the signature could be the original owner's name; it is not the name of the previous owner I bought it from, who thought it was studio glass by a Mr. "O. Lipton".

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand