No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Skrdlovice collectors thread, part II  (Read 332603 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: Skrdlovice collectors thread, part II
« Reply #230 on: February 16, 2013, 07:00:30 AM »
David, truly marvelous vases. In case you ever need a person to dust your collection, keep it company, or simply oooooo and aaaaaaa over it, I'm your man -- er, woman. I'll even do it free of charge. But only because I like you that much. 

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #231 on: February 16, 2013, 09:42:39 AM »
David, I am glad I motivated you to show your stunning Vizner vases -- no wonder they are your favourite ones! :)

In Vienna all quiet on the Skrdlovice front (apart from the Beranek piece, which is, funnily, as dear to me as any of my Vizners -- but I don't own a Vizner piece which can stand up to those you showed).

Michael

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #232 on: February 16, 2013, 11:02:10 PM »
Thanks, Anik and Rocco. As far as your offer of dusting, Anik, I did pick up a little dust when I ran my finger along my display case yesterday. Just tell me when your plane gets in and I'll even pick you up at the the airport.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #233 on: February 17, 2013, 02:13:39 PM »
Great pieces from Rocco and Langhaugh and obscurities in the other thread... all perfect examples of different phases of the factory, really nice to see them owned by caring collectors who value them,

Robert (bOBA)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #234 on: February 24, 2013, 12:23:15 PM »
My only Skrdlovice find from a short trip to Switzerland:
small (10 cm high) blue and purple vase with 4 circular indentions, has the remnants of the unusual bigger label I have on one of my Jaroslav Beranek vases as well.

A search through all the pattern books from the 1950s didn't turn up anything similar ???

Michael

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #235 on: February 24, 2013, 03:44:27 PM »
Michael,

Interesting piece. The nearest I can think is a Strobochova from 1964, but that one doesn't have the surface features. The colours look very much like Stahlikova from 1958/59.

David

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #236 on: February 24, 2013, 03:55:45 PM »
Nice piece, Michael!  But I was thinking more along the lines of Veliskova 5517. (Yes, I know I'm wrong.)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #237 on: February 24, 2013, 04:03:54 PM »
5517 looks like a possibility, although it would be difficult to attribute on the pattern book alone as it's a little sketchy. The date is a little bit of a problem given the label.  Thy didn't start using that label until 1957, and I don't know if production or supplies of a 1955 piece would continue until 1957.

David

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #238 on: February 24, 2013, 04:38:01 PM »
Thanks both for your help.
I checked those pattern numbers, but no real match IMHO. 5517 looks like it  has a lot of little "pimpels", while mine has 4 rather evenly distributed circular indentions; neither does the shape seem to fit.
Maybe it is a Strobachova piece gone wrong?

The combination of the design (which looks mid 1950s) and the colourway (which looks early 1960s) is a little strange...
And I had thought when I bought it that a quick trail through the pattern books would reveal the PN immediately ;D

@David: did you see that I found me the "Holy Grail" (well at least to me) of Murano glass, a substantial Flavio Poli piece?

Michael

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #239 on: February 24, 2013, 06:34:38 PM »
Michael,

No, I hadn't seen your Poli piece. Fabulous!  The kind of piece all Murano collectors dream of collecting.  Congratulations.

I wrote Stahlikova when I should have Veliskova for the colours. I have a couple of pieces from 1958 in those colours, so both the style and the colours are late 50's. Of course, that doesn't mean the piece is late 50's.  I'm waiting with keen anticipation to see if bOBA has any thoughts.

David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand