No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Skrdlovice collectors thread, part II  (Read 331612 times)

Offline bOBA

• Members
Re: Skrdlovice collectors thread, part II
« Reply #340 on: August 15, 2013, 12:51:07 PM »
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=petrova&bi=0&bx=off&ds=30&recentlyadded=all&sortby=17&sts=t&tn=bohemian&x=113&y=13

Not sure if this link will be OK.

I agree that most books on Czech glass make serious errors in neglecting to mention in any detail these makers-designers. One thing I find annoying is repetition of the same piece again and again. The very famous pieces by anyone, just become more famous and their other work becomes even less so. I know why, but eventually you have six books on your shelf where fifty pages are the same. With Mark Hill and Marcus Newhall, I think their work has opened the door a little more, in what may be considered worth writing about. It seems non Czech writers, to an extent bring new eyes to the subject. Having said this, there are things in Petrova, Langhamer, Ricke, that all add to the whole picture. But there are plenty of designers like Veliskova and Zemek who are not really given enough space in any of these volumes. Partly, I think the problem is an embarrassment of riches, that there is so much ground to cover in post war Czech glass, that no single volume can do the whole subject justice...   

In collecting Skrdlovice, it is great that we all have a chance to acquire significant pieces if we look hard enough. I am happy if I find one or two Skrdlovice pieces a year of that standard, like the Langhaugh piece too, so much depends on luck. Part of the excitement of collecting.

Robert

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #341 on: September 06, 2013, 05:13:55 PM »
Quite a while since I posted some new Skrdlovice pieces, but it is getting harder to find items which haven't been in our thread yet ;D

Here we go:

- my favourite addition: Zertova jardiniere, PN 6032. The red spot decor seems less commonly seen than the one with bubbles.

- 1950s vase, 11.5 cm high. I would think this is a Zemek design, PN 5530

- and my second Vizner "beer" vase, PN 7411/12, small (13 cm high) but chunky, a little unusual with a casing in Azure rather than clear glass

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #342 on: September 06, 2013, 06:01:16 PM »
Lovely finds, Michael, but I'm especially taken with the Zertova... WOW!

Some new pieces also came into my collection:  a Jezek 7418 which is much more impressive in real life than it is in photos, a 'quilted' Hora 8616 which my husband says is one of the ugliest pieces of glass I've got, but I think is great, and finally, a wonderful 'beranek'.  :)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #343 on: September 06, 2013, 07:08:03 PM »
Love all 3 of them!
The Jezek is really great, never saw it before... (I guess it takes up quite some space ;D )
I saw a few of the Hora vases online, advertised as Vizner usually. I think they are far from ugly, especially in this white colourway.
And the Beranek is lovely, too.

And thanks, a red-dot Zertova piece was on my wishlist for quite some time, so I was very happy to run across it at the fleamarket last week...

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #344 on: September 06, 2013, 07:16:55 PM »
Michael, the Zertova was a FLEAMARKET find?  Goodness me, you're so lucky... I'm jealous (in the nicest of ways) and extremely happy for you!  x

I think it's beautiful, and I love the pinkish dots.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #345 on: September 17, 2013, 09:41:06 AM »
One (or better: three) less on my wishlist, and around 11 kg of glass added to my collection ;D

Svoboda 7425 set, quite unusual as all three are oversized.
vase: a little over 29 cm (!) tall, 10 cm diameter, a monster at 5 kg.
jardiniere 1: 15 cm high, 13 cm diameter.
jardiniere 2: 13 cm high, 15 cm diameter.

Two have remnants of handwritten labels with the pattern number 7425, so I am quite confident that they are Srkdlovice production and not Svoboda AGS.

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #346 on: September 17, 2013, 05:34:07 PM »
Wonderful set, Michael!  I've got it too, and I love the heaviness and quality of each piece. The suspended bubbles are just perfect!   

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #347 on: September 20, 2013, 08:43:56 AM »
Thank you, Anik!
The funny thing is that 13 cm resp. 15 cm seems not big, but they are huge :)

And one more phantastic vase by Jaroslav Svoboda added to my collection, PN 7501/28 (29 cm high), great colours.
Always nice to find a piece which was included in the Ricke book...

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #348 on: September 21, 2013, 08:09:23 AM »
The Svoboda 7501 is GREAT!  Love the colors in yours.

Michael, aren't you running out of room for all your beautiful glass?  I think I could make a bit of space for some of your pieces here. I won't even charge you rent. I'm just that nice.  :P

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #349 on: September 21, 2013, 10:00:52 AM »
Thank you, Anik! It is one of my favourite Srkdlovice pieces.

Unfortunately you are right that I have been running out of space lately, even had to rent a storage room 8)
And it is getting very hard to decide which pieces have to go there, and which ones are allowed to stay...

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand