No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Skrdlovice collectors thread, part II  (Read 332695 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: Skrdlovice collectors thread, part II
« Reply #400 on: April 26, 2014, 04:29:46 PM »
Michael, just when I think you can't out-do yourself... you find another ABSOLUTELY WONDEFUL piece!

I'm oozing with jealousy -- but then again, I wouldn't have anywhere to display it. 
A super, super, super find   :)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #401 on: May 28, 2014, 06:54:30 AM »
Some new additions to my Skrdlovice collection: 

A tall topaz egg-shaped vase by Jirina Zertova, pattern number 6905 -- a great design. 

And 2 'mystery' pieces which aren't in the pattern books, but seem to be a version of Jezek's 7605 (to the far right in the last photo).  Interestingly, both mystery pieces had unfinished bases (which have since been ground and polished).

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #402 on: May 28, 2014, 05:37:19 PM »
Very nice, I particularly like your mystery bits.

John

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #403 on: May 28, 2014, 06:29:08 PM »
Thank you, John!  They are interesting items.  It's a shame, though, that glass can't talk.  It would be lovely to know why they were made and if any more exist. 

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #404 on: May 29, 2014, 11:09:32 AM »
Lovely, Anik!

I saw those Jezek-style pieces, too, when they were offered, and was very tempted to bid on them ;)
Maybe they were made at one of those "hot glass" symposiums held at Skrdlovice in the 1970s?
And the Zertova vase is very impressive. Interesting that this technique was used not only by Svobodova, but by Vizner and Zertova as well...

Some nice things to show, too, though nothing really new like Anik's additions:

- Vizner "egg" vase in red cased in very light blue, quite big at 18 cm height and 11.5 cm diameter
- Svobodova vase, great colours, height 26.5 cm, PN 6645
- lovely Stahlikova (I think) mid 1950s vase, height 22 cm, PN 5568

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #405 on: May 29, 2014, 12:25:15 PM »
Wonderful pieces, Micahel!  I love the 'egg' -- it's my absolute favourite Vizner design.  And it's bigger and wider than the ones I've got. 

The amethyst Svobodova is lovely... a nice, heavy piece in a great colorway. The last piece is the 5568 Stahlikova. There's one like it in the new "Beranek & Skrdlovice" book.  :)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #406 on: May 29, 2014, 03:19:37 PM »
Thanks for confirming the Stahlikova vase, Anik! -- I will have to wait a few weeks more for the book, as I will receive it as a birthday present :)
And those Jezek pieces are simply great -- how wonderful to have Skrdlovice one-offs in your collection!

MIchael

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #407 on: May 31, 2014, 01:14:23 PM »
Really great to see such varied pieces. The Jezek pieces really look like they may be rejected pattern submissions, I cannot really understand their existence any other way, as they match exactly the contemporary colourways of his accepted pieces, as Anik's photo shows. The Stahlikova is a great piece and these kinds of patterns are much under appreciated I think. The factory was making beautiful quality glass at this time and the glass always feels so nice to handle from this era too, if that makes sense. This particular pattern reminds me of the experimental designs she made at Harrachov and we can really see Skrdlovice had a role there, in this way, as shapes of Harrachov patterns such as the Albertross and some Harrtil, resemble these Skrdlovice patterns, which came first, before her and Veliskova shared some ideas there. If we read CGR carefully, there are places where their role is described as experimental design advice more than putting their actual name to designs. This puts more emphasis on why Skrdlovice is described as an experimental patterning facility at this time. This makes designs of hers, like this, more important, for me, as a general collector of Czech glass.

The Vizner egg vase is a classic design. The tallest one is extremely rare, but any of them are special really, as the design is impressive. I think nearly every Czech glass collector admires these....

Robert (bOBA)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #408 on: May 31, 2014, 03:30:51 PM »
Thank you for your comment, Robert!
I agree that several of those 1950s pieces by Stahlikova, Veliskova or Emanuel Beranek are great designs, and I am sure they will get the estimation they deserve one day.
(And some of them are quite hard to find)

Just a short question regarding my lovely Jelinek PN 6061 bowl I showed on the previous page.
Was it really made in a limited run of hundred pieces as the text in the pattern book suggests?

Michael

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #409 on: May 31, 2014, 06:52:47 PM »
Hi Michael,
the runs, numbering, are never reliable and can be complex. They can change depending on the decade. For the fifties, when translating, often they "are up to" not exactly the number. In the sixties, maybe a 100 were made, as in this instance. I would think more is extremely unlikely, less is more likely, 100 is possible. Only for glassexport orders were numbers exact. Sometimes, the numbers could be exceeded, if something was really popular,the pattern books would not record this. In the book, I mention specific instances where I was lucky enough to be able to ask Jaroslav Svoboda, "when the number says this, how many were actually made?" He kindly replied regarding specific patterns, this is in the book, where he commented specifically. His answers characterise the situation at the factory during the dace he discusses. Your Jelinek piece, I would guess a 100 were made max. A good option would be to email him using googletranslates. He seems to me, a very kind guy and if he remembers this piece and has the time, would happily email you about it I am sure. Anyway Michael, this is not your rarest piece. You have one piece in this thread, that is labelled unikat in the pattern books.....

yours

Robert (bOBA)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand