No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vasart Monart ink bottle or neither ?  (Read 7456 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Vasart Monart ink bottle or neither ?
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 02:52:52 PM »
I wasn't being serious.
The first time i heard his name, with regard to an..... exhuberant basket, I thought "Jesus Brasso" was what somebody exclaimed when they saw the piece!
And who says you're going to buy it anyway? Hmmmm?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 07:07:02 PM »
I received a reply from the vendor re " Moncrieff collection"
Hello *****, Yasart(sic) Moncrieff glass reference book at our local library. Thanks & good luck if you are having a bid.
The only book that I know that has been published on Monart is YSART GLASS, co authors I Turner and F Andrews and that does not mention anything about a " Moncrieff collection".
I have emailed the vendor asking for title of said reference book and author.
(***** I have deleted my ebay name)
Gary

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 06:50:33 PM »
I received a reply from the vendor re title and author of reference book mentioning the "Moncrieff collection" and this particular shape of ink bottle.
The actual info apart from a basic google search the info is published in an exhibiton catalogue of British Glass between the Wars page 61 item 75.
As I have not got a copy of that catalogue I can't verify this information. Does any member have a copy of "British Glass between the Wars" by Roger Dodsworth, if so could you let me know what
item 75 on page 61 is and if there is any mention of a "Moncrieff collection".
Gary

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 07:11:44 PM »
Well there is a Monart ink bottle on page 61, no 75 and it is said to have been made for a friend of the Moncrieffs by Salvador. No mention of Moncrieff collection and apart from being an ink bottle with canes and a bit of blue and yellow no resemblance (even in black and white). One looks like it was made by a master - the other...

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 08:41:50 PM »
Thanks Christine for the information, that certainly puts doubt on the vendors description of the said piece.
I have emailed Sandra Martin, the assistant curator at Perth Museum, if any of the large Monart collection they have was donated by the Moncrieff family and if the museum has any information on this so called "Moncrieff collection".
Gary

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 10:21:11 PM »
For reference:

The Inkwell illustrated in British Glass Between The Wars, is shown here (and that page is part of my article on some variations of Ysart (or not) millefiori inkwells).

That inkwell was formerly in the Ian Turner collection. When I spoke with Ian about it, he confirmed that the description in the BGBTW catalogue was indeed based on hearsay (hence the use of "said to have been" wording) and we both considered that 1950s may well have been a more accurate dating rather than 1930s.

The BGBTW catalogue described it as Monart shape code ZG, which I believe is not an inkwell. The ZG data states only one size, 3.5 inch high, but the inkwell is 4.5 inch and the body has a much "squatter" appearance than the ZG bottle, which I think is a perfume not an inkwell. In fact, I think that there are no inkwells shown in the Monart catalogues, but that inkwells were variations based on at least one of several Monart shapes.

I have seen inkwells, by Paul Ysart and Salvador Ysart / "Vasart", that could easily have been based on any of the Monart shapes: T, WB, HE, IE, ZG, SI, EJ.  What I have never seen so far is an Ysart inkwell with the main body section having surface decoration.
KevinH

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 10:40:15 AM »
It's got a massive crack across the base - not just at the top.....  ;D ;D ;D

How many folk actually like it?
Do your guts say "this is a fabby bit of Ysart glass and I need it ...for the aesthetics"?  8)

My guts say, "It's a fabby bit of Ysart glass."
I don't feel a need for much more than that - though it would be icing on the cake.

(rather than are fussing over catalogue shapes and records - though I do understand why)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2012, 06:44:49 PM »
I personally think it is a hideous piece of glass and not up to the standard of Monart glass.
If you want to learn about Monart and recognise it one must study the catalogues, if nothing else it has helped me in recognising fake Monart.
GARY

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 09:49:52 AM »
I prefer handling the glass.  ;D
But I don't collect Ysart glass and I've always gone just by my guts and whether or not I like it.
The "fake" stuff looks fake. The colours are wrong, the textures in them are wrong........

and I do know that a bowler hat shape isn't in the catalogues  8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2012, 03:43:40 PM »
 ;D
My brother has just pointed out to me that the shape of the bottle in question IS in the catalogues. Monart shape HE.

http://www.ysartglass.com/Moncat/Page06.htm
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand