No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue,white,green and touch of red scramble millefiori  (Read 18916 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Blue,white,green and touch of red scramble millefiori
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 12:27:43 PM »
is it possible this weight was made at Josephinenhutte please?  or is there evidence or even any thoughts as to why it could not be from there ?
many thanks
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 01:58:19 PM »
Hi m

If you look through Peter von Brackel's second book (Classic Paperweights from Silesia / Bohemia), Chapter 11 is devoted to a range of paperweights once attributed to Bohemia. Some of these have canes that look very similar to those in your weight.  Peter now attributes these weights to one or more unknown French factories, and believes that the 'Bohemian' attribution used in the past was a mistake. I think you can rule out Josephinenhutte - their canes look fairly different.

I wonder whether your weight (and the ones Peter shows) might be from later production at Grenelle, but that is speculation based on no more than the vague similarity of the canes to St Mandé and Grenelle.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 02:24:24 PM »
thank you Alan :)

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 02:34:42 PM »
I would vote for Grenelle. There was a good article on the factory in last year's PCA Bulletin.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 02:57:57 PM »
Thank you - so is the 'Factory 8' classification that Kev talked about, a group that is possibly French then?
And does mine still belong to the Factory 8 group :)
I've come about this in an odd way, as really I'm trying to match the weight to something else :) and clarification of the weight might have helped.
I'm still very interested in time as to what the weight might be but have no intention of selling - I'm just happy to see what comes out eventually :)
Many thanks
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 04:35:05 PM »
I've been having a look around  ::) and trying to see if I can match anything in the canes in this weight
I don't have the resources mentioned unfortunately so I'm probably completely off kilter anyway, but
I found this weight on the board (thinking it was Grenelle but happened upon the Clichy closepack weight at the bottom of the post) and there are some elements of some of the canes that are remarkably similar to some in my weight
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,45553.msg261638.html#msg261638

Is Clichy completely a no no  for mine please?
If so I will abandon that tree and find another to bark up  ;D
thanks
m

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 05:06:24 PM »

Hi.  I don't think yours is Clichy - but Clichy, St Mandé and Grenelle are all fairly close to each other in the middle of Paris, so I suspect ideas and influences spread.  Charles Bredgen worked at all three, for example.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 05:21:12 PM »
thanks Alan :)
I'll continue to search Grenelle weights for now then
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 11:29:02 PM »
although I think mine is much neater than this, the rose canes have some similarities.  It's difficult to see the pink bits in the middle and to see whether they are the same as mine but I'm finding it difficult finding white and green rose canes on anything, and just wondered whether some weights were still classified as St Mande when they might in fact be Grenelle (iyswim?)- is this possibly a Grenelle weight? and do my rose canes look similar to these?
http://www.libertys.com/li5/lib5990.jpg

This is a Grenelle weight with rose canes.  I can see the similarity but are they the same?
http://www.world-encheres.com/boisgirard/vo25012010/images/boisgirard_25012010-007.jpg
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 09:39:25 AM »
ref my post above, I'm probably splitting hairs, but I don't think the rose canes on the sulfide weight look exactly like mine, whereas with difficulty I can see that the rose canes I think, look similar to those on this link
http://www.pwts.org.uk/exhib99/Antique/Bohemian/13conc.JPG
I can see that the centre cane on mine with the white surrounds with green hollow star centres look similar to those on the sulfide weight, and on the linked paperweightcollectorscircle weight.
My weight seems to have some different types of rose canes, some with a double centre (two - where perhaps the pink centres have doubled up on themselves which makes them look as though they are double centred), one which seems to have a single pink form of centre, some large white ones with no pink centre and green outers and some small tube green types with only a few white rose petals in the centre (would those still be classed as rose canes?).
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand