No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue,white,green and touch of red scramble millefiori  (Read 19258 times)

Offline w8happiness

• Members
  • τὰ ἐφ' ἡμῖν
    • paperweights
    • Tyrol,Austria,Europe
Re: Blue,white,green and touch of red scramble millefiori
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2013, 04:40:07 PM »
Hi m,
another voice from Austria: yes indeed, a very fascinating and attractive weight- and the opinions of experts are pinpointing
the problem already. No doubt, by the actual state of knowledge, a French weight, and factory 8 a good working title.

Maybe someone from the St. Mande works made the facscinating roses- they made roses with shards of white glass and very complex canes- but sorry there's not yet a match with an identified St. Mande rose cane to your example.

My first question is always- is it "lead glass"? Antique weights from France, England and the USA are known to be made of this kind of glass. Antique "Bohemians"- there is only one supposed source  with lead glass (Egermann).

attached a very small rose cane by St. Mande, this time a micro "collapsed tube" type, kind regards E.

EJM

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2013, 09:02:56 PM »
thanks you also for your help and further information on this -
yes I believe lead glass - it glows under UV light with the same intensity but I think just a teeny fraction bit greener than my Clichy weight, which glows a fraction more to yellow.
I've found a few St Mande weights that vaguely remind me of mine.  One with a green and white rose (see link for reference)

http://catalogue.drouot.com/ref-drouot/lot-ventes-aux-encheres-drouot.jsp?id=2599418

I've also come across this one which has many canes in.  There's something different about the canes in mine though, the way they are constructed.  I probably can't explain it properly, but these look as though the rods that make up each cane were mostly bundles within a clear surround so each cane appears to have lots independent rods if you see what I mean.  Whereas with mine quite a few of the canes seem to have the rods bundles within a coloured surround/casing, so they 'appear' differently, more like a stick of rock is what I think I'm trying to say.
http://www.world-encheres.com/boisgirard/vo30052011/images/boisgirard_30052011-024.jpg

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline w8happiness

• Members
  • τὰ ἐφ' ἡμῖν
    • paperweights
    • Tyrol,Austria,Europe
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2013, 12:04:26 PM »
Hi m,
another voice from Austria: yes indeed, a very fascinating and attractive weight- and the opinions of experts are pinpointing
the problem already. No doubt, by the actual state of knowledge, a French weight, and factory 8 a good working title.

Maybe someone from the St. Mande works made the facscinating roses- they made roses with shards of white glass and very complex canes- but sorry there's not yet a match with an identified St. Mande rose cane to your example.

My first question is always- is it "lead glass"? Antique weights from France, England and the USA are known to be made of this kind of glass. Antique "Bohemians"- there is only one supposed source  with lead glass (Egermann).

attached a very small rose cane by St. Mande, this time a micro "collapsed tube" type, kind regards E.
p.s.:

please have a look at this:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,16293.0.html?PHPSESSID=95i5v0pp9nir4j6f7642dsii34
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/bridgesantiques/Paperweights

maybe from the same group?? and surely not Clichy....
kind regards Erhard
EJM

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »
Hi Erhard
Yes I linked to that one on page 3 of this thread :)
here
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,47540.msg308383.html#msg308383
I found it by accident and it started me off looking again for this weight.

If you go back to that post in this thread I also found two more on the Christie's online search that are possibly from the same maker.  I believe I have linked four with the same rose - I'm so curious to know where this was made :)
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2016, 10:30:56 PM »
Polite bump to see if any further knowledge has surfaced regarding the roses in my paperweight please, or perhaps even a possible maker?

Thanks for any help :)
m

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2016, 07:49:35 AM »

Hi.  I think that research by Paul Dunlop (see his PCA Bulletin articles) is pointing towards 'unknown French factory'. 

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2016, 10:18:01 AM »
Thank you :) 
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2016, 10:22:49 AM »
Thanks Alan - btw is there any further evidence of there being more than the four I've found so far that have very close similarities (four apart from the on on the Christie's site that Kev gave me the link to)?

m

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2016, 04:11:51 PM »

Hi.  I have not been keeping records, I am sorry to say, but I have seen a few similar pieces go through auction in the past 5 years.  Whether these were all distinct pieces, or maybe repeats, I do not know.  A couple were in lesser French provincial auctions.  I suspect there are a lot more than four out there!

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2016, 06:28:14 PM »
yes me too, I was just wondering where they all were - the more there are to compare, the more chance of someday finding out from whence they came.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand