No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: How rare is the Chance white intaglio handkerchief vase Cut Pearl  (Read 6508 times)

Offline bungie60

• Members
According to chance expressions there are no rare models but says the white intaglio handkerchief vase is rare. Also any info, designer, period, and how long produced would be most appriciated.Also what would be a price guide so as not to pay over the odds. Thanks in advance Mark

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: How rare is the white intaglio handkerchief vase Cut Pearl
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 06:58:06 PM »
All the information there is, is in the book

Offline bungie60

• Members
Re: How rare is the white intaglio handkerchief vase Cut Pearl
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 07:28:41 PM »
Thanks Christine all the best Mark

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: How rare is the Chance white intaglio handkerchief vase Cut Pearl
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 09:52:39 AM »
Not sure how much more I could write about the Chance handkerchief vase at the time, but since writing Chance Expressions there has been a wealth of new information. This will be published in Chance Additions, which I hope to finish this year and, amongst many new finds, will detail new handkerchief vases - ever seen one decorated in Calypto, for example?

However, there are several instances of rare and scarce vase, which are noted in the book (p.101 mentions "All the coloured intaglio patterns are rare..."), and Cut Pearl is one of these. But the purpose of not including a Price Guide was deliberate. In my opinion a Scarcity Guide is far more beneficial - a vase selling for £50 two years ago, could only be "worth" £15 now. So who can tell, or forecast, the whims of the market? Particularly when we are in the middle of a double-dip recession! And since eBay has flourished, this has opened up the market and made it possible for people to assess the relative worth of items on the day, but certainly not the week after!

So if you go to pp.109–111 there are charts detailing vases by observation. A sample size of 1,331 compiled over an 18-month period. This allows anyone to quickly check whether a vase is rare, scarce or common. Of course, this does not stop people buying vases that can be relatively common, like the Psychedelic vase, when a quick check shows the Carré (Escher) vase to be scarcer! Of course, the Psychedlic model is more fashionable/retro and is therefore highly sought after.

Incidentally, I have noticed other collectors books that are including Scarcity Guides, so hopefully the rather misleading Price Guides will become redundant.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 10:02:18 AM »
I did check my working copy of Additions, but it didn't seem to reveal anything specific to the Cut Pearl hanky vase :-)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 10:13:52 AM »
No, that's because my quote was from Chance Expressions.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 10:34:12 AM »
No to see if there was anything new. But I wouldn't have revealed anything without asking

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 01:22:14 PM »
Ah. I take your point. Nope, nothing especially new on the handkerchief vase, but some new shapes in Cut Pearl have surfaced.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline bungie60

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 04:20:58 AM »
Just confirmed my thinking as you say its on the day but many thanks for all the input. Its like last year i had an opaque white with full yellow print just showing 5cm of white rim a pleasure to find and hold all the best and thanks again

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 11:01:20 AM »
Adding to my original quote:

This allows anyone to quickly check whether a vase is rare, scarce or common.

... but not necessarily collectable!"

This means that some vases can be quite scarce/rare but are simply not very inspiring as a collectors' item. For example the 4-in Cordon pattern in tangerine is common as hell, but the 5-in model (in common with others of this size) is very scarce - but how well would it sell?
David
► Chance Additions ◄

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand