No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Reijmyre or Ronneby?  (Read 4213 times)

Offline scavo

• Members
Reijmyre or Ronneby?
« on: May 16, 2012, 10:25:05 AM »
I have a glass bird that an ebayer was kind enough to inform could be Reijmyre. I googled it and found the identical item with a sticker. I revised my ebay listing accordingly. Then the next day they contacted me again to say look at this identical one by Ronneby.

As as it's a hand made, not moulded item. I am thinking Reijmyre and Ronneby could be the same company? Glass artist switched company? One made items for the other? I have seen mislabled items?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Reijmyre or Ronneby?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 11:26:26 AM »
They are not the same company and without a picture we can't really help

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 01:51:23 AM »
In my opinion, sight unseen, it is much more likely to be Reijmyre as they rarely etched or engraved a mark on the base whereas Marcolin/Ronneby seem to mark clearly on the base.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 06:38:10 PM »
sorry for the delay. Some pics.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
Hi Scavo,  it was me that told you it was Reijmyre,  then found a very similar one with an FM Ronneby sticker on it.......as I said,  I wish they wouldn't use stickers, they can migrate!!  And indeed do!!

This was my reason for saying it was Reijmyre:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52978780@N03/5232535631/
And this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=270710425470
And this one:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/99445517/vintage-scandinavian-style-glass-bird?ref=sr_gallery_11&ga_includes%5B0%5D=tags&ga_search_query=scandinavian&ga_page=6&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=scandinavian&ga_view_type=gallery
Then this one turned up:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MARCOLIN-FM-KONSTGLAS-RONNEBY-GLASS-BIRD-LABEL-/250967955586
And this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120913985963
So who is the rightful maker??
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 06:26:39 AM »
Thank you Ross, Rosie and Christine.

At least it's only 2. But does anyone know why 2 companies were producing nearly identical birds? Best seller?

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 10:40:40 AM »
We can't be certain that there were two companies doing this piece.

In my opinion, these are all Reijmyre,  but where a label has been washed off,  it would be easy  to add another label to make it more saleable. 

Now I don't want to seem too suspicious, but, nearly all FM Konstglas pieces have a label and are also engraved on the base.  So if you take the label off you still have proof that the piece is FM Konstglas.  The label can then be used on a nice piece of glass to make it more saleable.

If a seller has already seen one of these birds with an FM Konstglas label, and has one without a label, and an engraved Konstglas piece with a label,  how tempting it must be to transfer the label!! 
I think this is one way that eBay myths start, however,  I have to say that I could be absolutely wrong, and it could be that both companies make very similar birds....especially as they are hot worked hand made glass, and one artist may have moved from one studio to another.
Rosie.

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 04:50:14 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've seen non Chance glass with Fiesta stickers on.

Yes, It must be tempting to remove stickers from pieces that have both.

Well, I'm happy to sell my little blue bird as either or, as I'm sure whoever buys it will love anyhow.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 03:24:04 AM »
Just a further comment - all my Marcolin/Ronneby pieces have been finished so the "Tong" marks are not obvious.  The finish to the tail & wings seems out of chharacter for them.  Also none of my pieces have spread wings(see 4 examples below).

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 01:42:58 PM »
Hello again Scavo!
Having now seen even more of these little birds with Reijmyre labels,  I am happy to stick my neck out and say yours is definately Reijmyre.
The colour, the shape and the fact that there are others on Google, all showing the same bird but with a Reijmyre label makes me very confident.
Rosie.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand