No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Paul Ysart Paperweight Inkwell  (Read 5741 times)

Offline helenaJ

• Members
Paul Ysart Paperweight Inkwell
« on: May 17, 2012, 05:34:33 PM »
I'm in the process of packing up the house including Monart glass and paperweights   I thought I'd like to share with members a couple of photos of my not so perfect PY paperweight inkwell.    When I bought it from Christies, I wasn't into paperweights, I went there to buy Monart.    The collection on sale was all owned by a French Lady, who she was I don't know, but much of the collection was damaged but still had a high reserve on it.    The inkwell was part of a lot of miniatures and paperweights and failed to find a buyer.    Christies held a further sale a couple of months later which we attended to buy a piece of Monart.    The lot had been incorporated into another lot, and I don't know why but I ended up buying it!!!!    That was my introduction to paperweights, as also included was a Monart, but signed PY cane paperweight of a dragonfly, unfortunately with an annealing crack across the middle.   

I digress - I thought the inkwell was pretty but didn't give much thought to it.   I took it to the first Perth Glass Conference and showed a few people - created quite a stir!!    Anyway the whole thing started me collecting PY weights, not many but a small collection over the years.

So before I pack it away I thought I would share some pictures with you, the damage is round the neck and the stopper, however, I don't think I'll ever sell it  as I now treasure what I know is some wonderful cane work and the shape of the inkwell is unusual/rare?

Mary

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Paul Ysart Paperweight Inkwell
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 10:41:28 PM »
Hi Mary,

Thanks for showing that one. Are you sure you don't want to make it a present to me??? I still like it - even with the damage.

Any chance of larger pics, though?
(I still have the couple of pics I took at the Perth event but they are not good at all - too much camera shake with the excitement of everything. ::))
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline helenaJ

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 05:44:37 AM »
Hi Kev

I remember you drooling over the inkwell at  Perth, it caused quite a stir!!!!!   

Also that dragonfly weight.   What's interesting about the dragonfly weight is the fact it has a Monart label on the base and also has the PY cane.    Is this unusual?

I'm hopeless of reducing the size of the photos. If I e/mail you some photos could you put them onto the site for me?
Mary

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 09:38:26 PM »
Larger pics on behalf of Mary ...

(I have tweaked some or all of brightness / contrast / sharpness to provide a balanced view of cane details.)

1. Full view
2. Stopper detail

Next post
3. Base cane detail - inner section (a)
4. Base cane detail - inner section (b)
5. Base cane detail - inner section (c)
6. Base cane detail - outer edge
KevinH

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 09:40:55 PM »
Next 4 images
KevinH

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 09:51:34 PM »
Also that dragonfly weight.   What's interesting about the dragonfly weight is the fact it has a Monart label on the base and also has the PY cane.    Is this unusual?
It is unusual these days to find both the PY cane and a Monart label, but it may have been the case that most (or many) PY weights (signed or not) originally had a label which has since fallen off. We do not even know whether the signed weights that went to the distributor Paul Jokelson in America from the mid 50s onwards had a label or not.

The really unusual thing about that label on your weight, though, is the "P/W No. 22" - which at the time we first saw the weight (eBay South Africa, I think it was) was one of the first "P/W" inscriptions to be seen in many a year.
KevinH

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 07:32:45 AM »
Hi Mary,

Many thanks for sharing these pictures with us. What a lovely bottle!! And such beautiful canes!!

I am a bit of a Paul Ysart fan, too so it made my day!!

SophieB

Offline helenaJ

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 09:16:20 AM »
Kevin

Would it be worth putting the pics of the dragonfly paperweight with the PY signature cane and Monart label on the site.   I'm happy for you to do this.   I was interested in your comment about the weight first being seen on Ebay, South Africa as I bought it from Christies.   Whoever the previous owner was, she certainly had some interesting pieces and I did wonder whether she had a connection to the Ysarts.

On the bottom of the inkwell there is a very strange label, hand written which says Paul Ysert, the label itself has an art nouveau/arts and crafts design.   I'll send a photo over to you if you'd like to include it for discussion on here.

Sophie - thank you for your comments.

Mary

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
Quote from Kevin
"We do not even know whether the signed weights that went to the distributor Paul Jokelson in America from the mid 50s onwards had a label or not".
Whilst at Perth museum today doing some research I came across this invoice among the Monart archives. I would appear that Moncrieff's did put labels on their paperweights and inkwells exported to Paul Jokelson.
Gary

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 02:18:30 AM »
That's a good find, Gary.

But it now raises two further questions ...

1. Were the labels of the "Moncrieff Scotland" type, or one of the two sizes of "CG Made In Scotland", or some other version?

2. Were labels also applied prior to August 1961?
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand