No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars cane?  (Read 3683 times)

Offline mmarc77

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
Whitefriars cane?
« on: May 17, 2012, 10:22:24 PM »
This weight is 2/14 diameter by 1 5/8 high with an unusual cane on the bottom that is white with a long black shape inside it. White stars on blue field with white straight canes all around the edges. It's hard to photograph but it is very well done. Any help on maker or age is appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Derek

• Members
Re: Whitefriars cane?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 07:34:17 PM »
Hi and welcome to the board.

The photos are not brilliant but good enough to say that it looks like a Whitefriars monk cane.

The Whitefriars name was bought by Caithness in 1980 but this style is quite unlike any of the
Caithness/Whitefriars weights therefore unlikely to be one of these.

I have checked out the Whitefriars paperweights collectors guide but can cannot see this design
which would seem to leave two possibilities:

1) Its a Whitefriars trial piece
2) Its by an unknown maker who has incorporated a Whitefriars monk cane into the weight.

There are several members of the board who are Whitefriars experts and I am sure one of
them will be able to give you more information and a more definite answer

Best regards

Derek

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mmarc77

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 12:06:29 AM »
Hello Derek and thank you for the warm welcome. :)

I don't know anything about trial pieces but I assume after they were made if they looked good they were a regular issue? So would they be one off pieces if not selected as part of a run? I wish I could get a better picture but the cane is half an inch up from the base of the weight and it's hard to get a good photo.

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 09:23:23 AM »
Hi

Yes trial pieces are just that - there is an idea for a new design or technique and it is tried out.

If it looks promising then maybe another trial piece is made with a slight alteration. This process will continue
over many iterations until the design team either reject the design or put it into full production.

So all trials are one-offs and according the the collectors guide - discarded trials were sometimes sold as oddments at staff sales   

Best regards

Derek

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 02:39:58 PM »
Hi

I must say all I can see is a Blue and White blob.
I cannot see anything to do with Whitefriars in the weight, the base or the blob.

Is it Me???

Roy

Offline mmarc77

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 08:42:51 PM »
It is difficult to see Roy so here is a better picture taken by seller. The round circle is an air bubble and although the picture makes it look like there is a letter inside there is not. The cane is more visible but there is a scratch right over where the blob cane is in the picture. It clearly appears to be a cane placed on the base in hand.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130689539336?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Here is also a picture taken through a loupe.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 11:19:06 PM »
Doesn't look like a Whitefriars cane to me.

Might just be a small section of an inner white core showing through the blue at that point.
KevinH

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 07:40:32 AM »
hi

I agree with Kevin. As a Whitefriars collector (120 plus) and a cane collector, from the photographs supplied I cannot see a cane.

Roy

Offline mmarc77

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 08:35:28 AM »
Thanks guys I really appreciate the input. I'm just trying to identify the weight manufacturer and will defer to you experts on the mark on the base. It does looks a lot different in hand through a loupe than in the photos provided.

Does anyone recognize the 8 pointed white star cane used throughout or is that a standard cane used by many makers? Having looked through a dozen books the only image that seems close is on page 171 (fig. 176) of Paul Hollister's "Encyclopedia of Glass Paperweights". The profile 2 ( page 167) also looks like the profile of this weight and per page 30 of the book "Paperweights of the World"  by Monika Fleming and Peter Pommerenke, the comment is made that Whitefriars paperweight bottoms look as if they are open which this weight certainly does.

I'm probably reaching at straws but I am determined to try and figure out what I can about this weight. Thanks for any help.

Mike

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 10:11:12 AM »
Hi Mike

Now you have sent the better pictures, I have to agree with Roy and Kev that the cane looks unlike a Whitefriars monk.  You mentioned that it was black although in the new pictures it looks definitely blue to me so as Kev says it could be a cane pushed through and distorted . However, it seems odd that all the other canes were even enough not to push through. Good luck with your investigation

Best regards

Derek

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand