No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Paperweight of the day Large Caithness Pebble  (Read 2898 times)

Offline Nick77

• Members
Paperweight of the day Large Caithness Pebble
« on: May 18, 2012, 01:13:50 PM »
Hi all

Todays purchase is below, I have seen a few Caithness pabbles but they have been small barely 2" (50mm) across and haven't appealed realy. This one stood out though it is 3.5" at its widest point by 2.75" tall (90mm x70mm)not sure if this is unusually big or just the largest I have seen.

Also on the base as well as the Caithness etched mark and name PEBBLE, is engraved what could be  read as CS 1988, but the S could be a 5, the 1 could be a 7 and the 9 could be a 2. Can anyone shed any light on what it actually reads and what it refers to?

Many thanks
Nick

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
Re: Paperweight of the day Large Caithness Pebble
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 04:19:15 PM »
The identification of Caithness "Pebbles" is a nuisance - they come in several styles, quite a few colours and colour combinations, and (officially) two sizes; their irregular shape makes it difficult to define dimensions - and likely sizes varied in production a fair bit as well; the fact that the Charlton information is partly wrong (style two, page 72, issued 1986, lists the colours of the 1994 editions) doesn't help.

There are:
- Style one (1984): catalogue shows 3 colours (production codes, though more images), no size given, but only 1 size shown; Charlton mentions "many colour variations", no size given.
- Style two (1986/87): catalogue shows 4 colours 1986, plus another one 1987, no size given, but only 1 size shown; Charlton lists 6 colour combinations (actually issued 1994) and 2 sizes (medium & miniature).
- Style three (1994): catalogue shows 6 colour combinations in 2 sizes (example attached); not mentioned in Charlton in 1994.

Andy Nowson (Encyclopaedia of Caithness Glass Paperweights) gives ranges for 2 sizes:
- Mini: 46 ... 56 mm
- Medium: 65 ... 82 mm (which would be rather large for spherical "medium" weights!).

To confuse things a bit more: the miniature weight (style three) is called "Pebble", the medium size is called "Large Pebble" ... in the catalogue ... have never seen one "in the flesh" where I am sure about identification.

Now - the number on your weight will be C57288 - the C indicating 1985 or 2005 as year of manufacture. The 2005 catalogue, however, lists only miniature pebbles, specified "Width/Ht. 56mm/2in" (whilst I think 2" = 51 mm). So your weight must be a style one, first issued 1984 - and the single size then will have been rather large.

I assume, by now you are as confused as I am  ;).
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Nick77

• Members
Re: Paperweight of the day Large Caithness Pebble
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 04:30:04 PM »
Many thanks Wuff, no that's great info.

Nick

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum