No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help ID Vaseline Glass Buddha  (Read 6012 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Help ID Vaseline Glass Buddha
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 03:10:38 PM »
I'm a little suprised that this is puzzling. This is from the large Cambridge Buddah mold (note I say mold). Perhaps is because the small 4 1/2" Buddah is seen far more than the large Buddah (which is a real horse compared with the small one). Now here lies the problem, Summit bought this mold from IG when IG closed & cleaned up the mold, produced it in Light Emerald (Vaseline) & Teal Blue, however there is a slight difference between Summit's Vaseline & Cambridge Light Emerald which is a shade lighter & frankly without having it in my hand I can't make a call. I will say though that Cambridge had a London showroom & you will find many Cambridge flower frogs in europe from the same time period so I'm leaning yours is Cambridge. As for the Geisha lamp (non-Cambridge) there is a debate as to whether this is a Geisha or a monk figure, regardless she/he differs from the Cambridge Geisha & is to the best of my knowledge is still unattributed although it has been suggested Germany since there is a monk figurine lamp that is German. Hopefully this Cambridge marriage of the large Buddah with a Geisha flower frog base may help you determine whether your is Cambridge or Summit.   

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 04:30:29 PM »
OHIO!  Wow....I just looked in the Cambridge (COLORS IN CAMBRIDGE GLASS) and yup, there it is on the page showing EMERALD color.  I have never seen it in yellow, and my eyes tend to only look for yellow, so I skipped right past it when I have looked at that page before.  Good call!

LUSTROUSSTONE:
I find that it depends on the individual maker and who made the original batch.  If it is GREEN GREEN, then it is uranium glass, PLUS ferrous oxide added (ferrous oxide = rust).  That is different than just uranium dioxide as the SINGLE COLORANT used in the batch. 

Our vaseline glass club had a convention piece made a few years ago (a square toothpick holder) and the buy who made them let a piece of cullet in the batch that had uranium oxide + ferrous oxide in it.  It was just one piece of cullet, with the majority of the cullet being melted was just yellow uranium glass.  The entire pressing of the toothpick holders turned out light green with not a hint of yellow. 

The reason you see modern as only yellow, is because collectors lean towards that color more than they do to the green uranium glass.

Here is a picture of the toothpick holder I mentioned.  The round disk next to it is a quality control sample from Fenton to compare to their master color to make sure the batch color was correct before they used the new batch.  You can definitely see the difference.

(Roy...sorry about hijacking your thread!)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 05:00:52 PM »
Dave it helps to have 38 years in U.S. glass, 22 of which as an NCC member. I don't wish to hijack this thread, however sometime I'd like to discuss with you the 1%-2% of Uranium needed to produce reactive glass in a batch especially a batch as small as 50-100 lbs. I have reviewed some of the Cambridge glass formulas for reactive batches, large batches of over 1/2 a ton & these are from Henry Helmers (America's glass chemist) book. Now there is a codicil of what I'm about to say & that is its entirely possible that todays UDs are not anywhere of the same strength/power of those used in the 19-teens through around 1960.  Having said that this is the formula for Cambridge Light Emerald which many call (right or wrong) Vaseline. Cambridge Light Emerald Chemical Formula:Sand 850 lbs, Soda 330 lbs, Feldspar 100 lbs, Lime 42 lbs, Nitrate 50 lbs, Lead 36 lbs, Arsenic 10 lbs, Copper Oxide 13 oz, Uranium 43 oz.

This is a 1,358 lb batch & you can do the math. The salts/UD used to produce the reaction of a 1,358 lb batch is in the tenths of one percent. You mention Topaz, well its higher, but still is only 7/10th of 1% for a large batch. I'm simply wondering if the 1%-2% U salts figure has been repeated for so long that people simply accept it rather than looking at company batch formulas? Helmers worked for Cambridge, Heisey, Fostoria, Economy, Morgantown, Erickson, etc. just to name a few over his lengthly career & his book covers several thousand glass color formulas. It would seem that nowhere near 1%-2% in the vast majority of cases (based on batch weight) of salts/UDs was necessary to produce reactive glass, at least not from the 20s through the 60s, but again I there is not a "strength/power" indication of the chemicals of that period to compare them with the same chemicals used today so who knows? Just a thought.  Ken 

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 05:44:57 PM »
Ken
I am definitely going to have to look up that book when I go to Corning/Rakow Library this october!

I have only two references for actual formulas.  One is a Fostoria formula from an original chemist book, (page 164 in my book if you have it), and that one used 1.35% of the total formula.

The other book is Hajdamach's book, BRITISH GLASS 1800-1914. In the back of that book,  there are 19 different glass formulas showing some amount of uranium usage.  All were formulas from Thomas Webb and Sons.  Some used very little:  LEMONESCENT, a color that does glow nicely, used 3 1/4 oz. and the lead crystal batch was 112 lb. there was also 2 lb. 12 oz. of arsenious oxide (which made it opalescent when struck in the glory hole).   Emerald green used 6 oz. for 112 lb. batch..  Aquamarine green used 1 1/2 oz. for a 112 lb batch.  LEMON used 7 1/2 oz. for a batch that weighed 293 lbs. 

I think you are on to something.  it is just one of those often repeated things.  it may be a hold over from Reidel's formula in the 1840s, when the refinement was not there.

Dave Peterson

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 08:40:15 PM »
Thanks Ken and Dave

So Cambridge glass is a strong possibility , I just assumed that the larger Buddha was a larger version of the smaller one.

I would like to think its more likely to be a Cambridge glass one rather than a summit but I do not have the experience or reference to comfirm 100%.

I do agree that we do see many Cambridge glass figures in Britain , while not to many Summit pieces a few of the small lions.

Anyway Ken it great to be able to narrow it down to either Cambridge or  Summit which early today I thought it was going to be difficult to even narrow it down to a country so I am more than happy .

As to the glass formulas that way over my head and far to technical for me but still interesting to read

Thanks again Roy

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 09:33:10 PM »
Roy you would think the two Buddhas would be alike, but they are actually different. Sue has a good picture on her site of the small one.
http://www.black-poppy.co.uk/Cambridge/photo420.htm
The small one has a top knot & earrings & his belly isn't showing. There are two other U.S. Buddhas, Fostoria which is seated & is entirely different than Cambridge facially with a large bun instead of a top knot & a large necklace. The one thats a bit of a fooler in the 6 1/2" Gillinder one which is close to the  Cambridge one, however no top knot, no errings & his hands are clasped.  When I llo at the coloration of yours I'm 95% certain its Cambridge...the Summit Vaseline is simply darker than the Cambridge Light Emerald & your pic of the non-blacklit one is spot on plus while its possible a Summit one made it to europe its far, far more likely your is from the London store.  Ken

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 07:09:54 PM »
Thanks Ken for all your help

I have taken a few pictures outside in natural light

Roy

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 08:12:38 PM »
That cinches it Roy...it's definately Cambridge Light Emerald. You might be suprised that the age of your Buddha is between 1924 to 1928. Ken

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 03:47:19 AM »
Thanks Ken

As much as I google Cambridge glass Buddha there seems to be extremely little on the the Buddha figure

Thanks Roy

Offline wuliechsin

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • USA
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 03:57:25 PM »
Hi, I just wanted to share my "large" Cambridge Glass Buddha in amber with everyone. It is about 10" high and weighs about 6.5 pounds and has a pewter screw base.

My father, grandfather and great grandfather all worked at the Cambridge Glass factory in the cooper shop. From what my dad told me, they used to go through the glass scrap pile after working. They picked this out of the scrap pile...it never went into production in this color from what I can tell.

And it was used as a doorstop for 40 years in my grandmother's house! Now it sits proudly in my house, but not as a doorstop!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand