No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bagley uranium 'Bamboo' vase (with frog).  (Read 4151 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Bagley uranium 'Bamboo' vase (with frog).
« on: May 26, 2012, 06:26:51 PM »
Just thought I'd share this purchase from this morning - I'm assuming it's the larger version at 8", although the book doesn't state what the smaller size is (about 4"/5" I'd guess).    Frosted uranium and complete with the flower support :)   Not sure whether this comes in green, and uranium, or if the green is always uranium.       Made from something like the mid 1930's to mid 1950's  -  although suspect this one comes from nearer the front end of this period.       Anyone know when Bagley ceased using uranium in their glass?

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • Trinket Sets, Uranium, Varied,
    • England, UK
Re: Bagley uranium 'Bamboo' vase (with frog).
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 01:48:48 PM »
According to this article Paul,  http://www.wakefield.gov.uk/CultureAndLeisure/Castlesandmuseums/Museumsonline/Bagleys_Glass.htm

"It is interesting to note that with the discovery of the atomic bomb at the end of the war the Government confiscated some three tons of uranium rich material which had been regularly used throughout to give a yellow tint to green glass."

So around 1945 if that article is accurate.
Please help identify Mystery Glass Trinket Sets
https://www.glasstrinketsets.com/Gallery/

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 02:44:58 PM »
Hi Jayne  -  thanks very much, although I have to admit to some embarrassment, as I've just looked through the 'Bagley Glass' book, and now seen the short paragraph that provides the answer to my original question.     The book states that "about 1946 the government confiscated Bagley's stocks of uranium-enriched glass ingredients (several tons).   Bagley's glass made after this date does not contain uranium, so does not fluoresce under u.v. light etc. etc."         Just goes to show that we should read out books properly  -  and if you have the book, it's on page 20.
Obviously, governments at that date were just realizing the value and potential of uranium, so I guess wanted to make sure it all belonged to them - although I had always assumed that the u. of which we speak was the 'spent' sort, and did not qualify for weapons grade??
However, enjoyed reading the article, and my thanks for doing the research for me.      My vase has a satinized finish both inside and out, so assume the process was acide rather than sand blasting.           Do I assume you do not have a copy of the book in question??

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 05:19:46 PM »
It was probably later because the Carnival pattern wasn't registered until November 1946 and there is loads of marked uranium in this pattern about.

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • England, UK
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 01:56:24 AM »
You're welcome Paul, and no I don't have the Bagley book, in fact I have no glass books whatsoever. :\

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 10:37:14 AM »
Thanks Christine - so maybe the government didn't get it all in '46, and perhaps Bagley held on to a little and continued using it for a while.

Jayne, how does anyone collect glass and not have have a single reference book.  ;) ;) ;) 

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • England, UK
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 02:07:50 PM »
Well Paul, I've always just bought glass things because I liked them, it's only recently that I've found a deeper need to identify items, and mostly the internet has held the answers for me. Perhaps it's time to invest in a book or two now though. :D

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 04:53:56 PM »
Uh oh, that's the start of another collection (I only have about 80)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 05:47:49 PM »
quite right, and they can become addictive in themselves - I think that the longer you collect, then there's bound to come a time when you'll need some reference source  -  and the Bagley book/CD is an affordable item that does provide good information on that factory - especially for those who have an interest in trinket sets.    I have a similar quantity to Christine, although I believe there are some people here who have them in the hundreds!! :o

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • England, UK
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 07:32:29 PM »
80!!! Oh my...perhaps I should stick to the net...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand