No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ZBS Figurines  (Read 3930 times)

Offline BSevern

• Members
ZBS Figurines
« on: May 29, 2012, 12:24:24 AM »
There seems to be quite a bit of interest here in ZBS figurines, so I thought you might enjoy photos from a trip I was fortunate enough to make to ZBS in 2008.  We visited the sample/stock room where we were allowed to go through the boxes, and shelves where armies of ZBS figurines were stored (thousands of them).   

Apparently at one time they were trying to save unique samples to start a museum,  unless there were duplicates of the pieces in the museum samples, they were not for sale.  Anything else we could find in the room was for sale, and there were hundred and hundreds of bins, thousands of figurines, including some that had been there for a very long time.    The ZBS glassworks was HUGE.  We were also able to search though other store rooms there with incredible amounts of glass from all eras. 

This may be old news, but sadly I learned last week on my visit to the Czech Republic that ZBS is no more. 

I managed to pick up several figurines, I've included photos here of a couple of my favorites that I purchased, as well as the photos I snapped at ZBS:

http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e299/b_severn/ZBS/

Happy hunting,
Brian

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: ZBS Figurines
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 04:06:48 AM »
Wonderful, Brian.

Was everyone who visited allowed into the store rooms, or was that a privilege reserved for a select few? You were indeed fortunate to have had the opportunity to tour ZBS glassworks.  Thank you for sharing your photos.

Anik

Offline BSevern

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 04:29:43 AM »
Hi Anik,

The ZBS stock was purchased by Novosad & Son, and as we were there digitally archiving the Harrach design books, we were invited by them.  I would imagine the remaining figurines are in the Novosad & Son gift shops?  I can check on that if you'd like to know.

Brian

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 04:52:38 AM »
Ah... I did think it was a bit strange to allow the public to climb ladders and go through all the boxes, where glass could disappear into pockets or break. You were the privileged few.

I've been observing glass on a Czech auction site (similar to ebay) for some time, and I've noticed that the prices for ZBS figurines have skyrocketed in the last few months, even surpassing ebay prices. Interest is certainly rising, especially among the Czechs. If Novosad & Son have ZBS figurines in their gift shop, I can imagine they are quickly finding new homes with collectors.  :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 09:07:11 AM »
Thank-you so much for sharing! These figurines are a complete joy.
(Michael wouldn't let me buy your Aphrodite, Anik.  :'(  I loved it, he shrieked in horror and threatened to leave the house if it entered.)
But it did provoke an emotional reaction from him.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 09:31:40 AM »
Lol, Sue... My husband's response was much like Michael's when I brought her home with me.
These figurines do evoke reactions -- people either love them or hate them.

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 11:29:58 AM »
A fascinating post. We may need a ZBS figurine thread starting..... I personally thought the aphrodite looked a lovely piece myself.... whimsical, quasi-kitschy stuff does divide audiences- like humour itself, which many of these ZBS contain, you either find them charming-funny or you don't! I think they are great,

Brian bought some amazing examples.... were they new at the time or from the stores? Great either way, the glassblower must be the top of the list for most ZBS figurine collectors, I had not seen it before...

Robert (bOBA)   

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 01:24:44 PM »
I agree with Robert -- the glassblower figurine is fantastic.

I've decided to attach a photo of the ZBS Aphrodite figurine mentioned above, for the sake of reference.

Anik 

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 02:13:56 PM »
I love ZBS villager figurines as much as I do Murano animals. Some of us ZBS lovers ought to start a Google site with pictures of the figurines.

The ZBS market seems to be all over the place. Sometimes they fly off the shelf. Other times they just sit and wait. And almost always I receive low offers for them. I want to say WHAT???!!! You want this wonderful piece of glass for how much???
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 02:51:58 PM »
Thank-you, Anik  :-* - she really deserves a home where she is appreciated by all. She deserves to be seen - here and wherever she goes later.
She's more complicated than most - she is very, very special.
(I'm still in a grump over her.  :'( )
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand