No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Another Royal Brierley variation: Royal Brierley Art Glass  (Read 4087 times)

Offline keith

• Members
4 inches high with paper label saying 'Royal Brierley Art Glass' smooth matt finish,looks like fused enamel on the surface,pock-marked with 'burst' bubbles,is there a term for this treatment?

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Another Royal Brierley variation.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 04:48:39 PM »
Looks like a similar effect to their more usual Studio stuff, perhaps same technique but using different materials.

I saw a bit of Brierley Studio the other day, a plain coloured posy vase with simple cut decoration. Sadly no photos.

John

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 05:49:37 PM »
Thanks John,although this has a different feel and is nothing like the other pieces I have,all smooth and polished this is the first I've seen like this ??? ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 03:35:45 PM »
quote...............'pock-marked with 'burst' bubbles,is there a term for this treatment?'.................yes, it's called seconds ;D           I do like the colours though, Keith, attractive.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 03:43:47 PM »
 ::) ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 05:26:32 PM »
Yet another name for it (but in ceramics) could be "Fat Lava". I'm sure it must be a silimar sort of enamel.
It looks as if they've used the general Harris design, but managed to incorporate this sort of finish.

I'm rather impressed with it. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 07:05:45 PM »
Thanks Sue,rather like it myself,have a few 'fat lava' vases but hadn't thought of the connection ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 07:38:10 PM »
I thought that to qualify for 'fat/thick lava', there needed to be some heavy or thick textural surface lava/dripping/pumice, similar to the ceramics of that name :) :)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 11:38:07 PM »
In regards to West German pottery (fat-lava) I heard somewhere that the description related to heavy glazes and the term fat-lava was a bad translation from the German,if I heard correctly ::) ::) ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 10:40:14 AM »
 ;D

It is. I think the word "gros", meaning large, got mistranslated into "fat".
However, this looks like "thin" lava, if you like  ;D - I was referring to the actual surface texture of the enamel, not its thickness.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand