No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Research on Chinese Paperweight Designs  (Read 1721 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Research on Chinese Paperweight Designs
« on: June 19, 2012, 06:13:25 AM »
[Mod: This thread has been created from posts in another thread as it relates to a research topic that may gather pace on its own. ]

Together with a fellow collector I am working on an article on Chinese lampwork and millefiori paperweights, and I am trying to get evidence for when particular designs were made or marketed, particularly pre-1960.  This might come, for example, from early auction catalogues, books, or sales brochures with images.  Evangeline Bergstrom had a few early Chinese paperweights, and gives images of these and dates of acquisition in the late 1930s.  But there may well be more information like that somewhere out there. Any help gratefully received.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
Re: Research on Chinese Paperweight Designs
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 04:02:57 AM »
Alan,

Check out the Smith book on American glass paperweights from 1939.  You will find some Chinese weights in there, although none are millefiori.  The book also has some early Murano items that I would have said were much later.

Regards,

Allan

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 12:14:18 PM »

Hi Allan.

Thanks for the information - interesting images, even though black and white.  As you note, the Murano pieces are a surprise: I would have put them as mid 20th century.

It is interesting too to see the attributions that were being made at that time! ;D

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 03:37:13 AM »
Hi Alan,

Smith had a lot of incorrect information.  If the glass worker or descendants claimed it was made in New England he showed an interest in buying it.  That encouraged the sources to .... call it what you will.  The book is more a curiosity than a reference, but it does provide early pictures of weights as does the Bergstrom 1940 book a year later.  Both books were self-published. 

As for the pictures being in black and white, he had at least a few copies hand colored.  There were two editions, the first with a blue cover (187 pages) and the second with a green cover (173) pages.  I have copy #6 with a blue cover and all of the pictures are hand colored.  The extra pages 175-187 seem to be left over notes that are not well organized.  Many copies of the blue first printing have a hand colored frontpiece page. 

Regards,

Allan

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand