No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Three cherries cane ?  (Read 4276 times)

Offline Tony G

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • UK
Three cherries cane ?
« on: May 31, 2012, 08:06:45 AM »
Hi All,
           does anyone recognise a cane which appears to be three bright red cherries on a green stalk all on a white background? The paperweight in question has a number of these in one of its concentric rings of canes. The other canes appear to be white external with a coloured interior to an eight internal point tube. These canes also have a small tube at the centre. The weight has a rough pontil.

I'm sorry but I cannot get a photo of this paperweight.

Thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Nick77

• Members
Re: Three cherries cane ?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 10:17:34 AM »
I don't recognise the cane but from the base it looks like possibly Strathern to me

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 09:39:43 PM »
Sounds like it's the cane shown below.

This is one of many referred to as a "Salvador Ysart cane".

Without seeing the actual weight, it is not possible to say whether it is from the Ysart years or simply one that was used in later periods of Vasart Ltd. or Strathearn, or even perhaps from a range of "Unknown maker" weights.

Edited to add: Although it may well have been a "cherry cane", as may be seen from my photo, the "fruits" are formed from an 8-lobed "daisy cane", so it might even have been a type of "rose cane"!!
KevinH

Offline Tony G

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 01:35:28 PM »
Hi,
      many thanks Kevin. Your photo is exactly what I have described as 3 cherries although, as you say, it may have been intended as something else. After reviewing Richard More's photographs of Strathearn weights and looking at the other canes, I would guess at the Ysart connection but not particularly Strathearn.

Thanks again,

Tony

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 04:19:10 PM »
The weight has a rough pontil.
A rough pontil mark is not usually (if at all) associated with Strathearn so, yes, I suspect it was most likely made in the Vasart Ltd or Ysart Brothers years.
KevinH

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 10:44:35 AM »
Hi all

I would  have thought that the snapped pontil  pointed to either the Ysart Brothers
period or a later frigger rather than Vasart as Vasart were usually rough ground.

I have checked with Dave Moir who worked at Ysart Brothers,  Vasart  and Srathearn comtinuously
from 1954  to 1980 ( apart from 2 years National Service), when production of the Strathearn brand ceased.

Dave said that in all that time, he had not seen this cane,  which tends to point to it being a Salvador cane as noted by Kev.

Salvador died in 1955 but I do not know who got his canes after his death - although it seems likely it was Vince. 
The cane was not in with the general stock after Salvadors death otherwise Dave would have noticed it.

Best regards

Derek

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 04:15:24 PM »
Tony said: "The weight has a rough pontil."

Without seeing what the base of the weight actually looks like, I cannot be sure that my interpretation of Tony's comment is correct. I felt that it meant "roughly ground". But Derek's interpretation of "snapped pontil" (which I would prefer to call a "snapped off pontil mark") might be correct.

That's the trouble with discussion of details without an image and the fact that there are several "pontil mark" descriptions which have become part of collector terminology. And there is further complication because of basal finishes that show evidence of two or more descriptive types!

Perhaps if Tony takes a look at my page of example Basal Finishes for Salvador / Ysart Brothers weights, he can find one that best matches the one we are discussing. (The page may need to be enlarged to see the details.)
KevinH

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 09:57:36 AM »
Images are available but I assume the op doesn't want to advertise the link to where it is for sale, which is where I have seen the base, and thought it similar to my Strathearn or early Perthshire bases ;)

Offline Tony G

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 02:55:59 PM »
Hi,
    the paperweight is in a sale at Eastbourne auction rooms Lot 1783 and has, what I now think, is better described as a snapped off pontil. Not sure how to take the image available and add it to this note.

Cheers

Tony

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 03:07:01 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum