Author Topic: Ichendorf vase, show and tell  (Read 2734 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Ichendorf vase, show and tell
« on: May 31, 2012, 02:26:01 PM »
I recently managed to aquire one of these stunning thickly-cased-with-lots-of-inclusions Ichendorf vases (was high up on my German glass wishlist)

It is 24 cm tall, very heavy (around 4 kg), has a polished and bevelled rim, ground and polished base with circular pontil mark and a tiny square acid etched mark (is this the Ichendorf mark? Or part of it?)

The finish of this vase also convinces me that my other vase in a similar style which Ivo kindly identified as Leerdam (with the reservation that he knew nothing about Ichendorf, obviously not true ;D) is definately not Ichendorf.

I wrote an e-mail to the Ichendorf Glass Museum to see if there is some more information (date, designer, etc.)

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: Ichendorf vase, show and tell
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 04:05:44 PM »
Wow, great vase, Michael. Isn't it a fantastic feeling to get something which is high up on the wish list?  Congratulations!
My Etsy shop with Czech glass: CzechGlassCollector

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 04:31:23 PM »
It is wonderful - and what a joy to find something you've wanted for a long time.  ;D
Cheers, Sue (M)

“All things are subject to interpretation. Whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.” Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 05:52:01 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments! :)
Thick-walled, internally decorated glass is just my thing.

It's sad that there is so little information to be found on the post war output of Ichendorf; a few precious contributions from Ivo on the board, that's about it. Even worse than with other German makers...

Michael

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 06:11:09 PM »
The thing on the bottom is part of the Ichendorf mark, which can sometimes be found
as an acid-mark and is just a stylised
i
for Ichendorf. Same mark is also used on a square foil label with a frame (can´t remember
at the moment wether complete or open to one side).
You´ve photographed the dot of an i I think.  ;D
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 06:17:28 PM »
Thanks Dirk!
If that square is the dot of an i, the rest of the letter is missing ;D
Not even the tiniest bit of it to be found.

edit: do you have any more info on this range? -- I have seen 2 or 3 of these on German ebay during the last months (mine is one of them), but they seem less common than the thick-walled rectangular knobbly vases...

Michael

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 03:35:01 AM »
Sorry, Michael. The information on Ichendorf seems, like you said, even more
limited than those on other german glassworks...  :(
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 09:03:57 PM »
fabulous design  :) I like the way it's made and the bubble effect. 
m

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 09:10:23 PM »
Great find, Michael. I'm a big fan of inclusions, although I have difficulty explaining that even to myself.  I know nothing about Ichendorf and about the same for other German makers. What is the approximate date this was made?

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 06:47:49 AM »
Lovely, and every attributed piece helps my Ichendorf knowledge. I didn't know they did these sort of inclusions. Like you said, Ichendorf info is really scarce.

I only have one Ichendorf I'm sure of (the famous Tüsselman design), and one I think is perhaps Ichendorf, but can't remember (I bought a lot of German glass that day, and when I got home I had forgotten the attribution of that particular piece. Aargh).

I'm always looking for places to find out more about German glass then I already know. I guess we could use a few more threads dedicated to posting the works of a particular company (like the Skrdlovice thread over at Czech glass), especially if there are no books on that company available. Most of what I know I picked up by seeing labeled ones for sale on ebay (which would be a lot easier if some Germans weren't obsessed with slapping 'Joska' labels on everything they offer for sale, sigh.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com