No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ichendorf vase, show and tell  (Read 14202 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Ichendorf vase, show and tell
« on: May 31, 2012, 02:26:01 PM »
I recently managed to aquire one of these stunning thickly-cased-with-lots-of-inclusions Ichendorf vases (was high up on my German glass wishlist)

It is 24 cm tall, very heavy (around 4 kg), has a polished and bevelled rim, ground and polished base with circular pontil mark and a tiny square acid etched mark (is this the Ichendorf mark? Or part of it?)

The finish of this vase also convinces me that my other vase in a similar style which Ivo kindly identified as Leerdam (with the reservation that he knew nothing about Ichendorf, obviously not true ;D) is definately not Ichendorf.

I wrote an e-mail to the Ichendorf Glass Museum to see if there is some more information (date, designer, etc.)

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: Ichendorf vase, show and tell
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 04:05:44 PM »
Wow, great vase, Michael. Isn't it a fantastic feeling to get something which is high up on the wish list?  Congratulations!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 04:31:23 PM »
It is wonderful - and what a joy to find something you've wanted for a long time.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 05:52:01 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments! :)
Thick-walled, internally decorated glass is just my thing.

It's sad that there is so little information to be found on the post war output of Ichendorf; a few precious contributions from Ivo on the board, that's about it. Even worse than with other German makers...

Michael

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 06:11:09 PM »
The thing on the bottom is part of the Ichendorf mark, which can sometimes be found
as an acid-mark and is just a stylised
i
for Ichendorf. Same mark is also used on a square foil label with a frame (can´t remember
at the moment wether complete or open to one side).
You´ve photographed the dot of an i I think.  ;D
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 06:17:28 PM »
Thanks Dirk!
If that square is the dot of an i, the rest of the letter is missing ;D
Not even the tiniest bit of it to be found.

edit: do you have any more info on this range? -- I have seen 2 or 3 of these on German ebay during the last months (mine is one of them), but they seem less common than the thick-walled rectangular knobbly vases...

Michael

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 03:35:01 AM »
Sorry, Michael. The information on Ichendorf seems, like you said, even more
limited than those on other german glassworks...  :(
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 09:03:57 PM »
fabulous design  :) I like the way it's made and the bubble effect. 
m

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 09:10:23 PM »
Great find, Michael. I'm a big fan of inclusions, although I have difficulty explaining that even to myself.  I know nothing about Ichendorf and about the same for other German makers. What is the approximate date this was made?

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 06:47:49 AM »
Lovely, and every attributed piece helps my Ichendorf knowledge. I didn't know they did these sort of inclusions. Like you said, Ichendorf info is really scarce.

I only have one Ichendorf I'm sure of (the famous Tüsselman design), and one I think is perhaps Ichendorf, but can't remember (I bought a lot of German glass that day, and when I got home I had forgotten the attribution of that particular piece. Aargh).

I'm always looking for places to find out more about German glass then I already know. I guess we could use a few more threads dedicated to posting the works of a particular company (like the Skrdlovice thread over at Czech glass), especially if there are no books on that company available. Most of what I know I picked up by seeing labeled ones for sale on ebay (which would be a lot easier if some Germans weren't obsessed with slapping 'Joska' labels on everything they offer for sale, sigh.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand