No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ichendorf vase, show and tell  (Read 14233 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: Ichendorf vase, show and tell
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 01:21:55 PM »
Thanks for contributing, folks!

David: I have no idea when this vase could have been made; I would guess late 1960s or 1970s.
Unfortunately the Ichendorf Glasmuseum guy didn't answer my e-mail so far...

Some of the (very little) info I was able to find on Ichendorf:

... Ichendorf was located in Bergheim-Ichendorf, Germany and went under at the end of the 70s - at that time the main designer was Alfred Gunther. I think you'll have a hard time finding out about the factory, I don't think much has been published...
Glaskilian states 1907-1986

Astrid, thanks for providing the information that Horst Tüsselman designed for them, I didn't know that (thinking of some of his vases for Peill, it comes to mind that he could be responsible for this one as well ???)

Düsseldorf Glasmuseum have a beautiful Ichendorf vase on their website, with inclusions similar to mine (but with smokey coloured top, almost like Gralglas).

The guy from artglassleiden.nl has a vase like mine (and states that it has a label), so -- together with the small square mark -- I am quite positive about the ID.

BTW, I wasn't able to find another Ichendorf vase on the web with an etched mark...
Here are 2 with plastic labels: > Link 1, > Link2.
Interestingly the square thing in those labels is not the dot of the i...

Astrid, a thread with confirmed pieces would be great (but regarding Ichendorf rather short ;D)
If it wasn't for labeled pieces we see on the web or fleamarkets, most of German glass would be almost impossible to ID.  That story with the Joska labels sounds rather depressing...

I still would have no clue about the maker of one of my favourite German vases if I hadn't run across the labeled twin in an antique shop; haven't seen another one of those since, not even on German ebay...

Michael

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 06:27:22 PM »
Astrid, thanks for providing the information that Horst Tüsselman designed for them, I didn't know that (thinking of some of his vases for Peill, it comes to mind that he could be responsible for this one as well ???)

This is the Ichendorf vase that is sometimes attributed to Tüsselman, but I'm not 100% sure, it's an attribution that I've seen a few times now, and it stuck because Tüsselman is not one of those names that is misused regularly.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 03:29:27 PM »
Thanks, Astrid. Pity that the Museum people didn't answer so far -- they seem to have the old catalogues, which migh help a lot in attributing unknown pieces, or in finding out designer and production date.

Your vase seems to be the most common (confirmed) Ichendorf design around; I have only seen one of them in real life, and they are very nice -- and very nicely executed.

Vases like my bubbly piece seem less common; I bid on one last November but didn't win it, then there is mine (which was on ebay for almost a year till I finally decided to contact the seller), and the one from the artglassleiden site...
But I have only been looking for that kind of vase for about a year, so not so scarce maybe.

edit: the Duesseldorf e-museum site refers to Ichendorf catalogues from 1973-75, unfortunately not available online, but they give a few designer names:
1973: Ichendorf-Design, Heinrich Sattler, Ralph Michel, Alfred Günther, Gilbert Kruft, Ulrike Penkert, Marianne Penkert, Gistl-Design
1974: Ichendorf-Design, Heinrich Sattler, Werner Bünck, Ralph Michel, Alfred Günther, Ulrike Penkert, Marianne Penkert, Gistl-Design
1975: Ichendorf-Design, Heinrich Sattler, Werner Bünck, Alfred Günther, Ulrike Penkert, Marianne Penkert, Wolfgang Klapp, Gistl-Design

Michael

Offline CD

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Ichendorf
    • Germany
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 07:34:27 PM »
Hello,

this vase sometimes attributed to Tüsselman was designed by Hermann Penkert, director of the "Ichendorfer Glashuette" (ichendorf glasswork) from 1953 to 1986. It is in the catalog "Geformte Geschenke" (mouled presents) which contains a price list from 1969. The catalog will soon be published on www.ichendorfer-glasmuseum.de.

CD

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 08:55:14 PM »
Hi CD,
thank you so much for providing this information!
It is great to learn about the designer of this stunning vase.

Especially because there is so little info available about the Ichendorf Glashütte...
Looking forward to the publication of the catalogue on your website!

May I ask one more question: I have another Ichendorf suspect >> http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,50769.0.html
Or is it a different maker?

So thanks again,
Michael

edit: rereading your post - are you referring to my vase with bubbly inclusions which started this thread, or to the later mentioned square one? Thanks!

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 09:16:55 PM »
Hi CD,

many thanks for the catalogue pages!  :)

p.s.: Michael, they have a jug and bottle named ´Rocco´ in their 1973 catalogue...  ;D
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline CD

• Members
    • Ichendorf
    • Germany
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 07:13:29 PM »
Hi,

this is a correction: the name of the designer is Rudolf Penkert.

Here are the pages 1-52 to 1-55 from the 1969 Ichendorf catalog:

CD

Offline CD

• Members
    • Ichendorf
    • Germany
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 07:30:41 PM »
Hi Rocco,

reply to: German(?) brown bell-shape vase with powders and bubbles...

I haven't seen this vase yet in the Ichendorf catalogs.

CD

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 08:51:16 AM »
CD, thank you so much for posting the catalogue pages -- great to know the designer of those beautiful vases!

That leaves >> my vase, which started this thread, still unidentified; it has a small square etched mark, and >> here is another one which is obviously labeld, so it should be Ichendorf ???
Have you ever come across this design in one of your catalogues?

Michael

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 09:54:44 PM »
Looks like the same technique as used in 815 Silver Ice Tumbler designed by Ulrike Penkert. Other designers shown in Lisbon 72 are Marianne Penkert and Prof. H. Sattler. Presumably the Penkert family were a significant part of the glassworks?

815 is shown on this page but pics are too small to see the technique http://www.ichendorfer-glasmuseum.de/katalog1973teil3.htm

Some other Ichendorf pieces here http://www.glasrepliken.de/p_vergleich.htm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand